• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump problems?

mikebish86

NAXJA Forum User
my 2001 xj was sittin for a while in my backyard while i sold my other vehicle. and now im havin problems gettin it going. i believe its the fuel pump b/c it will start then just sputter out. anyone ever fixed a fuel pump in one, or just replace the whole gas tank/ pump?? just tryin to weigh out my options, and figure out what i should do. any input would be fantastic.

thanks,
mike

I think in that model the pump goes in the top of the tank, so you have to drop the tank to replace it. The filter is also internal.

how long was it sitting for? Ive heard of stuff like this b4 when it sat for a loooooong time and ended up with water in the tank, or the fuel could have went bad too. just a couple of ideas. BTW if everything else fails, just hit it with a hammer.

yeh it sat for like 6months. but i sucked it all out put new gas in w/ fuel treatment, and injector cleaner and other shit. i guess ill try the hammer tomorow and see if it starts.

mikebish86 said:
yeh it sat for like 6months. but i sucked it all out put new gas in w/ fuel treatment, and injector cleaner and other shit. i guess ill try the hammer tomorow and see if it starts.

when all else fails, the hammer's always there for ya

Back