• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I blew up spiders need quick advice

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
happened about 45 seconds into the run last night. Its a D35. We are on our way to pick up another D35. what I would like to know is how easy/hard it would be to just swap the spiders @ camp, the other option is to swap the entire axle. +hthe problem with swaping the entire axle is I'm currently 410 front and rear, the axle we are picking up is 355. please refrain from lecturing about the D35 (I know it sucks)

The biggest issue here is that with the 35 you likely toasted the spiders because the carrier flexed/cross shaft was worn out. You can try swapping the spiders as long as the rest of the internals didn't get munched, but certainly no guarantees for longevity. Hard to say without being there to look at it. It would really need a new carrier and housing, worst case.

I just tore a D-35 down this week, cause I had never done it before.

Replacing the spiders would be simple.
This is for a C-clip axle.

Remove the diff cover.

Remove the cross shaft bolt(its a 1/4 12 pt bolt in the middle of the carrier).
Spiders will be loose. Remove the cross shaft.

Dig out the remains, slide the new ones in, slide in the cross shaft. There is not quite enough room to work. So you will have to put one in place slide the shaft through it and into the carrier as far as you can. then spin the carrier slightly to be able to get the other spider lined up and in place. SLide the shaft through bolt it down.

replacing the spiders is easy even with only basic hand tools. however, it's likely they shattered as a result of some other issue, or even more likely, damaged other stuff on their way out. i'd swap spiders, then wheel with someone else. when you're done, drive your stuff back home and thoroughly check it out. you wouldn't want the rest of the '35 exploding further down the trail. at least i wouldn't...

I see your jeep is 1992 from profile, make sure you get a dana 35 from a 91-93, as the spiders on the later ABS models will be too large, earlier models- sides won't have cclip 'groove':lecture:

Last edited:
thanks for the quick responses, we are taking the entire assembly with us just in case but I think ill try the spiders. Phil the longevity is so much an issue, I have a D44 waiting @ home in Seattle, I just happen to be in Oregon so thats not an option

the axle is non c-clip out of an 88 I think thedonor donor axle is out of a 90

Obviously, Remember to douche throughly. Im not being an ass. I have seen people leave pieces of gear in the bottom and say stuff like....Will it hurt anything? Duhhhhh. Every little piece of shit in there will be running through all your bearings and races. Brake clean, brake clean, brake clean.

if you have a d44 waiting for you pull the back drive shaft and pop her into 4wd. Your just going to have to add atf to the t-case every 30 mins or so. :roflmao:

xalexjx said:
if you have a d44 waiting for you pull the back drive shaft and pop her into 4wd. Your just going to have to add atf to the t-case every 30 mins or so. :roflmao:

Thats about the worst advice ive herd in a while.

Joe, swap spider gears, cross pin, clean out, and continue to wheel.

We ended up swapping the entire axle in camp just to be safe.

I do still have a question for you guys though. I pulled up next to him when he first noticed he was having problems. He pulled forward about five feet for me to listen. I heard a pop, bang, clank, but at the same time I also saw sparks at the drum. What would cause sparks and is it even possible?

Back