• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine rebuild question

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here replace the head in their XJ while it was in the Jeep or is it necessary to remove it?

Head replacements with the engine in the compartment are suprisingly easy on these 4.0's. There's no reason to pull the engine.

Joe

Get or make a couple of studs to help line things up when you reinstall the head, it will go a lot smoother. I actually took two of the old driver's side bolts (I'm using all new head bolts) and ground the heads round to the same diameter as the shaft of the bolt. They will be plenty long enough to remove easily after you get the head and gasket back on the block and some new bolts in place.

scca28 said:
Get or make a couple of studs to help line things up when you reinstall the head, it will go a lot smoother. I actually took two of the old driver's side bolts (I'm using all new head bolts) and ground the heads round to the same diameter as the shaft of the bolt. They will be plenty long enough to remove easily after you get the head and gasket back on the block and some new bolts in place.

Excellent idea. Thanks. You don't remember the size and thread off the top of your head do you ?

Mdub said:
Excellent idea. Thanks. You don't remember the size and thread off the top of your head do you ?

Just use 2 of your old studs, the ones with the threads at both ends, grind the them down smooth(remove the hex part).

xjtrailrider said:
Just use 2 of your old studs, the ones with the threads at both ends, grind the them down smooth(remove the hex part).

That's exactly what I did. Used the dirver's side studs. Figured the pass side bolts would be too short with the heads ground off. If you are planning on reusing your old bolts, go to a u-pull-it and snag a few there to make into alignment studs.

Back