• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drag link end

dru9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys

On my drag link at the knuckle end, there is a piece hanging out of the boot - looks like a broken bearing collar or something.

I'm assuming I'll need to replace the drag link, but what exactly is this piece, and how screwed is it right now? There is no play in the link.

TIA

Update: Is this piece simply a collar to give the boot it's shape?

Last edited:
Are you talking about the rubber around the tie rod end ? They are cheap and easy to replace.

00607sm.jpg

*edit* nevermind. I went out to my scrap pile and saw that the end is not replaceable on the knuckle side end of the drag link. Stock drag links are pretty cheap as well. Look here:
http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jeep_oem_replacement_parts/steering/Cherokee_steering.php

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back.

Yup, it's the knuckle end. The end seems tight , just wondering if in fact this "collar" is simply to support the boot i.e keep it's shape.

RyanM said:

Sorry, left the camera @ home - I know what you mean.

Picture a bearing ring from a bicycle crank, minus the ball bearings. This is what this bit looks like. Half of it was hanging out, so I pulled it. There's no play in the joint. After staring at it for some time, it looks like a support to give the rubber boot it's shape. If anyone has ripped apart a crappy old one, they might see this bit.

I left the bit at my shop, so I'll try and slip in tomorrow and take a pic of it.

On both ends of the drag link next to the clamp / pinch bolt there is on metal star washer on either side of it. I think it is supposed to keep the clamp in position. It looks like an internal tooth star washer. Those on my XJ are loose and moves back and forth. :yap: :dunno:

Back