• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Cylinder Head

ubipa

NAXJA Forum User
2000 sport with 97k miles. The 0331 head cracked on me. I am about to replace the SOB this week and was about to order the supplies. The replacement head arrived in the mail yesterday. What else do I need to order that I am not thinking about? I am about to place an order for a Head gasket, exhaust and intake gasket. Pickup some loctite, oil, and coolant. What else? Any specific tools I don't already have?

If I'm not mistaken, the headbolts are torque to yield. I have heard the can be reused once and others say not at all. You can get a replacement set from Autozone or the like for about $38.

Thanks. I'll try to pick up a new set of headbolts if they have them because I'm not sure if they have ever been replaced. I'll look for the paint mark but that's trusting the fact that a previous mechanic marked them.

Do exhaust manifolds usually crack? That would suck. If that's true, I could of went with the 0631 cyl head and picked up a matching header.

Where did you get your head from? Are you planning on doing it in the Heep or pulling the engine?

Yep the xj's head does not take much torque, so you better bloody well get it right. If you don't have a good torque wrench buy one and either keep it or return it when you're done.

New bolts are definitely recommended. Also - i am assuming you got an 0630 as a replacement rather than an 0331 head? If so new bolts, new stem seals, new gaskets, and you're good to go. It's better to spend a little more now and just get the bolts than have to buy more bolts and gaskets, and have to do the whole damn job again...

It's a simple pull. Any questions, post up, there's a hell of a lot of help available on this forum from the engine gurus... 5-90 and avnsteve for example. Joe

How about the fuel line quick disconnect seal sets? Does the 2000 have the same as my '88?
If you need them, I see you are in Philly and Barberra's on the Blvd. got them for me in a couple of days.

Clean, clean them head bolts and bores. Use a tap in the bores. Flush with K-1 as you do so. The blind hole is a real pain to get clean but it got to be done. Dirt in the bores is 85% of the reason for factory and shops rework on head/head gaskets jobs.
The bolts should bottom out by finger easily. If not stop and find out why. Most of the time it's dirt.
The bolts should all tighten up about the same. So many turn should = about the same torque. If not stop and find out why. Most of the time it's dirt.
You do run into a soft bolt now and then. Many engine have no problems with a bolt that is a little soft or even two. The factory and many shops just play the numbers and live with a few reworks.
I replace any bolt that take a lot more turns to reach torque spec after insuring it's not dirt making the problem. luck

A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
Work safe.

Ordered the cylhead through Clearwater Cylinder Head Inc, 300$ shipped

I ordered a rebuilt 0331, delivered in 3 days. I just went out an inspected the head and it doesn't look like it's had any previous cracks patched up. I thought about the 0631, but the custom DI mount and replacement header was too complicated at the moment. As long as I get 50k miles more out of this engine, I am happy.

I ordered the headbolts. I'll make sure the bores are clean when installing. Thanks.

I will be replacing the head with the engine still in. I'll inspect the seals of the fuel lines, but I am not planning on replacing at the moment. Thanks everyone.

ubipa said:

I ordered a rebuilt 0331, delivered in 3 days. I just went out an inspected the head and it doesn't look like it's had any previous cracks patched

Well I would not have gone that route, the problem with the 0331 head casting was with the inoculation used in the casting process, I'm no metalurgist but it seems that the metal did not allow for expansion/contraction whatever. You may want to get it magnafluxed before putting it on there.

But you may get lucky and get one of the good ones!

ubipa said:

I ordered a rebuilt 0331, delivered in 3 days. I just went out an inspected the head and it doesn't look like it's had any previous cracks patched up. I thought about the 0631, but the custom DI mount and replacement header was too complicated at the moment. As long as I get 50k miles more out of this engine, I am happy.

I ordered the headbolts. I'll make sure the bores are clean when installing. Thanks.

I will be replacing the head with the engine still in. I'll inspect the seals of the fuel lines, but I am not planning on replacing at the moment. Thanks everyone.
Just wondering but did you do some intense searching prior to jumping in and buying the refurb 0331 head...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919384

I did this myself and went smooth... and the prices listed are a little skewed

Back