• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj needs better rear brakes

snowjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with about 5.5 inches of lift and 32x11.5x15 at's. I put slotted rotters up front but is there a much better pad for the rear drums? I thought about rear disc conversion but not willing to spend $500 plus for them. Maybe a bigger drum set up. I will take any and all advice, thanks.

If you can find a WJ in a junkyard, yank it's rear disk brakes and do the swap.

WJ = Grand cherokee

ZacSquatch said:
If you can find a WJ in a junkyard, yank it's rear disk brakes and do the swap.

WJ = Grand cherokee

ZJ. You want ZJ backing plates and calipers, WJs are grands from 98 on I believe.

I got mine out of a 97 ZJ and they're great. Its a straight bolt-on save for honing out the caliper backing plates.

You'll need backing plates, rotors, calipers, soft lines, longer wheelstuds, longer bolts for the axle flange to backing plate, fluid to bleed the system and gasket and gear oil for the diff.

I did mine for like $250, search the forums there are plenty of writeups

is there a much better pad for the rear drums?
===============================
Are you driving a slush box with the 242 in full time and the rear wheels keep spinning when the fronts lockup? Try using part time more. Cheaper then calipers,
Pop her out of gear works for a lot of people too.
Then try a softer shoe. Generally the cheaper once's are softer but that is just in general. They may not last as long or even help.

Ok rear disk would be nice but are there better rear shoes? Performance rear shoes?

I've been trying to find Raybestus Pro Grade's for my '98, talk about a PITA! I had somebody suggest Hawk, but I haven't had a chance to see if they do the shoes or just the front pads.

Back