• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar

89CherokeePioneer

NAXJA Forum User
89 Cherokee 4wd Command Trac

On the axle side of the trackbar, how do you get the nut out? The bolt is easy, but the nut seems to have no access. There's a small space to fit my pinky in, but that seems to be it. It look's like the steering knuckle needs to come out? I'm talking about the left side of the trackbar, for clarification. As if you were standing infront of the car.

the nut on the back side of mount should just come out...it has a tab welded on it.....???

Yeah it probably would come out but I'm actually trying to tighten it. I can't fit a wrench in there to hold the nut in place while I'm turning the bolthead, and as a result the nut just spins. What weld?

Haynes manual just says remove nut and bolt and lower trackbar from car. Haynes sucks.

89CherokeePioneer said:
Yeah it probably would come out but I'm actually trying to tighten it. I can't fit a wrench in there to hold the nut in place while I'm turning the bolthead, and as a result the nut just spins. What weld?

Haynes manual just says remove nut and bolt and lower trackbar from car. Haynes sucks.

Yeah, the axle side trackbar nut is welded onto a backing plate with a little tab that hangs down where you're trying to stick your wrench in. Musta snapped yours off. See if the tab isn't still inthere an put a little tack on it to keep the nut still.

Oh ya. hanes suck from time to time, but a hanes and 1 year naxja membership is still about half as much as an FSM and WAY cheaper than a mechanic. For $15 I'd say they're actually surprisingly good.

Well, there is def. no tab. I can see the nut spin when I try to tighten it, and I tried to jam something between the nut and the frame to keep it from spinning but no luck.

Any ideas?

cAN YOU GET A SERVICE WRENCH UP INTO THE SLOT

A pry-bar of the right size and shape, wedged in.... May take several tries to get it to grab sufficiently, though. Not a typical, heavy-duty bar, but a mechanic's type, with slight angle at the business end and a fairly fine taper.

That said, the right screwdriver could work. Oh, and an impact gun will make a huge difference, perhaps between success and failure.

XpedientJ said:
A pry-bar of the right size and shape, wedged in.... May take several tries to get it to grab sufficiently, though. Not a typical, heavy-duty bar, but a mechanic's type, with slight angle at the business end and a fairly fine taper.

That said, the right screwdriver could work. Oh, and an impact gun will make a huge difference, perhaps between success and failure.

that's what i did. i had a friend wedge it with a very long pry bar, then i hit the bolt with an impact. came right off.

Back