• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Donor gauge cluster vs aftermarket gauges

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
I have the base model gauge cluster (oversized gas gauge in stead of tach and idiot lights). My question is, which is cheaper and easier, swapping in a gauge cluster from another jeep or going with and after market gauge pod (oil pres, water temp, volt) and a tach. I am leaning towards the after market with a tach on the steering column and a 3 gauge pod on the dash or the A-pillar but never having added gauges need to know what is needed in terms of sending units/sensors.

Opies is a good write up, and theres also another write up on here as well.

The part numbers for the sensors that Opie gives I could not find. Two parts stores didnt have those numbers, but the write up on NAXJA had the correct numbers.

I had the same cluster issue with my 89. I bought a cluster through e-bay for $40.00. My new cluster was out of an 89 so all I had to do was pull the OG one out and pop in the new one. Every thing was cable driven like the old one. I even went to the local pick & pull and grabbed a pile of the peanut bulbs from some “donor” jeeps in the yard and they gave them to me because they didn’t know what they were. Installation was pretty straight forward thanks to this write up. Having a tach is good.

off this...with an OBDII vehicle, will removing the guage cluster trip a code?

I'm thinking of replacing it totaly with autometer gauges (still keeping all lighting and odometer active however)

Maytag said:
off this...with an OBDII vehicle, will removing the guage cluster trip a code?

I'm thinking of replacing it totaly with autometer gauges (still keeping all lighting and odometer active however)

I've been wanting to do this forever, but cannot find anybody who has done it or has a good idea at how to do it. I want it to look clean and still have all the same gauges!!

Back