• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor

OSUBauer

NAXJA Forum User
My 93 has a god awful screetch coming from the A/C compressor. I figure it's the clutch. Here's the question. When I replace the A/C compressor will I have to convert to R134a refridgerant? If so does anything else have to be replaced? If anyone else has done this, what is the cost?

OSUBauer said:
My 93 has a god awful screetch coming from the A/C compressor. I figure it's the clutch. Here's the question. When I replace the A/C compressor will I have to convert to R134a refridgerant? If so does anything else have to be replaced? If anyone else has done this, what is the cost?

You don't "have to" but the cost of using R-12 will make you want to, besides retro fit kits are easy enough, just screw on an adapter from the kit to the service port and fill her up. You can get R-134a kits at pretty much any auto parts store, heck even walmart has them real cheap. no other parts needed :guitar:

jeepfreak84 said:
You don't "have to" but the cost of using R-12 will make you want to, besides retro fit kits are easy enough, just screw on an adapter from the kit to the service port and fill her up. You can get R-134a kits at pretty much any auto parts store, heck even walmart has them real cheap. no other parts needed :guitar:

yes it is a good idea to convert to R-134a because R-12 can be as much as $200 per lb.
however jeep freak in incorrect by saying that all you need in the fittings.
the accumulator (filter) will need to be changed, as well as getting as much of the old compressor oil out as possible. the reason being that R-12 uses a mineral based oil, and R-134a uses a synthetic PAG oil. The mineral oil will not "disolve" into the R-134a
and thereforer not get carried through the ac system. Leaving the ac compressor with a lack of lubrication and will most likely seize. also since the mineral oil cant be absorbed by 134a it will just sit in the bottom of the ac system taking up room that would otherwise be used for refridgerent, and the system will not blow as cold as it could.

Thunder11265 said:
yes it is a good idea to convert to R-134a because R-12 can be as much as $200 per lb.
however jeep freak in incorrect by saying that all you need in the fittings.
the accumulator (filter) will need to be changed, as well as getting as much of the old compressor oil out as possible. the reason being that R-12 uses a mineral based oil, and R-134a uses a synthetic PAG oil. The mineral oil will not "disolve" into the R-134a
and thereforer not get carried through the ac system. Leaving the ac compressor with a lack of lubrication and will most likely seize. also since the mineral oil cant be absorbed by 134a it will just sit in the bottom of the ac system taking up room that would otherwise be used for refridgerent, and the system will not blow as cold as it could.

you are deff. right about the accumulator, this is what happens when sleep deprivation sets in. As far as the old oil etc, I would hope that all the R-12 would have been properly evacuated before any service to the system would be done. (just an assumption) But ouch! I knew R-12 was expensive but 200 bucks a pound! geez thats ridiculous.

even after the system is evacuated there will still be several ounces of oil left in the system, mostly in the evaporator and condensor. there are flush kits that are specfically made to remove all the old oil. while not really necessary to remove the old oil, it will make the system more efficient.

what is necessary is to make sure that PAG oil is put into the system for proper lubication of the compressor after the conversion.

thank you oh master tech for showing me the error of my ways, my 10 years experience as a mechanic pale in comparison to you'r almighty knoledge :firedevil Just a little FYI wer'e here to help each other, not to try to prove each other wrong. BTW welcome to the forums :roll:

jeepfreak84 said:
thank you oh master tech for showing me the error of my ways, my 10 years experience as a mechanic pale in comparison to you'r almighty knoledge :firedevil Just a little FYI wer'e here to help each other, not to try to prove each other wrong. BTW welcome to the forums :roll:

im not trying to be an ass or anything, just trying to give the correct way to convert a system over so that they will have no problems.

also I may not have 10 years experience, but I do have 5 and all of that with Chrysler and Jeep, so dont act like I dont know what I'm talking about.

Thunder11265 said:
im not trying to be an ass or anything, just trying to give the correct way to convert a system over so that they will have no problems.

also I may not have 10 years experience, but I do have 5 and all of that with Chrysler and Jeep, so dont act like I dont know what I'm talking about.

Im not, never said ya didn't. Just sayin were all here to help thats all. each of us with our own special talents all try to contribute a little here and there to
try and make the XJ world a better place to live and coexist. no need to take it personaly bro. Relax, have a beer, enjoy the forums :cheers:

jeepfreak84 said:
Im not, never said ya didn't. Just sayin were all here to help thats all. each of us with our own special talents all try to contribute a little here and there to
try and make the XJ world a better place to live and coexist. no need to take it personaly bro. Relax, have a beer, enjoy the forums :cheers:

sorry got a little worked up, no hard feelings. cheers:cheers:

Back