• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Shocks Replacement

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ...
Can you explain to me in very, very simple terms how you cut your front shocks and what tools you used when replaced yours?

I sprayed for about a week and a half the bolts with PB Blaster and used locking pliers at the strut top, but they would not turn. Now, I know that many of you did not care (neither do I) and just cut the bolts off. How did you do it without cutting either brake lines, or hoses?
Thanks in advance.
Boris
P.S. I had a very easy rear shock replacement, thanks to all the advice given here...I started spraying just a little the bolts every evening a month and a half in advance and they came off efortlessly.

you can toch the bolts off or use a breaker bar with socket and a wrench under the shock mount. just twist them off or break them off.

be real careful with it. especially with a torch.

if the bolts are so rusted it should not be too hard.

are you trying to remove the tops or bottom parts?

I've never used anything but hand tools (sockets and wrenches) to remove them. I soak them good days before the removal but that's it.

I found that using a distributor wrench on the top bolt on the drivers side works really well (you can get around all the brake lines from the anti lock system). It was a PITA till I used that wrench.

Back