• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96/97 AW4 compatibility

RichieRich

NAXJA Forum User
My transmission in my 96 sounds like it is on its way out so I've searched the yards for a used AW4. I need to know if the 97 AW4 is backward compatible to 1996 since I can get a good deal on a low mile 97 unit??

I've done a few searches and come up with some useful info but nothing definitive. My 96 is OBDII if that makes any difference. TIA.

What's the problem with the tranny? It's usual for the AW4 to have a mechanical problem as most of the problems are on the electrical side.

As for compatibility, the AW4 did change but I have conflicting info about when. Some have said the changes to the sensors happend in 96 with the shift to OBDII. I have also seen info that suggests it was in 98.

Two things changed. A front shaft speed sensor was added on the drivers side, mid-way up just behind the bell housing. If yours has that, the donor will need to have it. The second change was to the rear speed sensor which changed type and pulse/rev. You can pull the tailcone of the tranny and swap over the rotor from the old tranny and use the old sensor.

Can you post back whether your tranny has the front speed sensor. If it does, that would be a data point that the change did happen with the OBDII change.

Last month, after I changed my filter and ATF, the trans started making a whining noise in all drive ranges. The noise changed pitch with load so I suspected its was the torque converter. I drained the fluid and refilled with Dex/Merc3 again and the noise seemed to work its way out and went away.

Fast forward to this past week and the noise has come back. This time it sounds like a metallic whine with some looseness to it. Like pieces have broken off something and are rattling around the TC. I also notice that when it is started from cold the trans/TC catches, slips, catches, slips, then it will drive normal - 'cept for the noise. Once in a while when I come to a stop, it feels like the TC goes into lockup then releases really quickly making the car want to jump forward (I have to keep my foot on the brake or else it will jump - I just don't always know when). I'd like to know what is really wrong before I just throw a transmission at it since the AW4 is virtually bulletproof. I'd try a TC but can't find a new one online anywhere. I can get a used 38,000mi '97 AW4 w/TC for $200 and it comes with a 90 day warranty. How can I beat that? If I'm pulling the trans, why not just throw the used one at it for the 2 bills its going to cost me. Thats where the compatibility issue comes into play. I don't want to mess around making something work. I want it to be plug and play. I don't mind BS'ing around with some things just not when it comes to a job like this.

Anyone know where to find a new TC besides the Heep Stealer? I want to compare my apples and oranges. Thanks as usual.

-Rich

Back