• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ is folding like a taco!!!

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
Well, not quite, but it is folding in a most peculiar way...

I have a Rusty's 6.5" long arm that I installed. The long arm mounts sandwich the frame rail and are sleeved so as not to crush the frame rail. However, I noticed that right in front of my driver seat there was a bulge upward in the floor. I was concerned enough that I pulled out the seat, lifted the carpet and holy cow! the floor was bulged up right in between the framerails. The only way I can figure this would happen is if the tops of the framerails were brought together but when I check underneath the long arm mounting plates are good and tight. I hammered it back down so at least I don't have the bulge in the floor anymore. I haven't been really abusing the XJ either.

Anyone else had something similar happen?

Yes. Myne used to 'pop' off road before I patch my rusty floor. Im gonna sleeve the rails, beef up the Rusty Xmember, cut holes in the bottom of frame. weld nuts to the stiffener. Should be solid.

I should mention that my XJ has virtually zero rust and definitely no structural rust. Under the carpet was nice shiny red painted sheetmetal.

RyanM - would you say your folding was because of rusty floor?

fuzzydog said:
I should mention that my XJ has virtually zero rust and definitely no structural rust. Under the carpet was nice shiny red painted sheetmetal.

RyanM - would you say your folding was because of rusty floor?

You bast@rd, you can't be from Canada, its impossible to have no rust up here. Oh I see, BC eh, you bugars have all the nicest cars out there.
If this bulge continues to be a problem for you, I'll trade you my 97 with missing pieces of floor which will obviously solve your bulge problem.

LOL - Vancouver is the BEST place to find rust free vehicles. I live in the interior where rust is a major problem, but a 6 hour trip to vancouver and you find some solid vehicles. Best part of it is that in Vancouver they have to pass aircare, whereas in the interior they don't. so if a non-mech inclined person fails aircare with an older vehicle they will generally sell them really cheap just to get rid of it. i picked up my very cherry 90 XJ ltd for $1800.

It now has 6.5" long arm lift, 33's on Ar767's, disc brake 8.8 with LSD, SYE, 4.10 gears, custom front bumper - still to come custom rear bumper, rack, Rubicon flares, sliders

beakie said:
You bast@rd, you can't be from Canada, its impossible to have no rust up here. Oh I see, BC eh, you bugars have all the nicest cars out there.
If this bulge continues to be a problem for you, I'll trade you my 97 with missing pieces of floor which will obviously solve your bulge problem.
Heh Heh, He wants to take care of your bulge!

You need to reinforce the unibody sub frame. the additional stress by locating both mounting arms to one piviot point can cause this type of damage.
i use renforcement brackets on my jeepspeed mj just for this reason. some nice pre-cut ones can be found here http://www.temper-mentalracing.net/services.htm

you still may have to fab some around your bulge! :)

Back