• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking under braking from the REAR

CLOISER

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen a lot about clicking from the front but I've got some clicking from the rear under braking

The clicking has a rhythm to it, not random clicking, while braking and is noticable during low-speed (under 30MPH) braking

I replaced the hardware and lost the sound for about a day

1998 8.25" no ABS

Any ideas?

dyna said:
Why I dont know but my 95 did that when the brakes were getting worn. I replaced the shoes etc and it went away.

ditto on my '96. it was a rhythmic click/knock when breaking and only happened at lower speeds. i couldn't find the source, but the shoes were pretty well worn out. i did the brakes and the noise never returned. i assume it was the shoes moving around, but....who knows?

do you feel it in the drivetrain at all?

that's what the turdy five in the Mj sounded like when it ate some ring gear teeth.
I'd pull the diff cover and look around in there for damaged teeth.
I'd also check all of the u joints, they tend to make noise under coast fight before htey go bad.

Not that I recall, I always thought it was the diff going south as it was already making noises, I also recall when they were wet it was worst. The shoes didnt even look worn but I never measured them to check. I had the drums turned also and started thinking the shoes were rocking back and forth creating the click with the drum warp which you also could not feel in braking.

in mine, a d35, you could hear the noise was coming from the right rear. i drove it for over a month without any other issue except the clicking. when i finally pulled the drums i found the shoes were really thin, so i changed everything out for new and the clicking never returned. i figured the brakes needed to be done anyway. i have heard that wheel bearings will do something similar when they start to go.

there's no noise if I slow down via downshifting, only when braking, so I don't think it's coming from the pumpkin but I'll check it out tomorrow AM

I think it might be the shoes are outta wack, maybe they'll fall back into wack :looney:

Something similar happened to my XJ. That type of sound was only noticeable at low speeds, but it came from one side only. It happened to be a worn shoe with a bad quality brake line that managed to move to a position that wasted the shoe. It was a bit bent, so I got it rectifyed and that was the solution of the problem.
Also, a worn brake cylinder a couple of years ago did such type of sound, but "heavier". It only needed replacement.
Hope this help!

thank you to all for suggestions I think I'll pick up new shoes and see if that helps, also check the universals

I had the same noise my father used to fix that when he drove the car he took it to the mechanic & cleaned the drums from the pad dust and oiled the pistons

I had this as well on my 1999 about a month ago.
I did fix it up by cleaning the drums and re torque the wheels.
Maybe things happened to match up according to the link mentioned above which caused the noise to go away, that’s one small flange to match up to.

Last week I replaced the pinion seal and the noise came back, so maybe things where not exactly where they where supposed to be when I put things back together.
I will check tonight.

Back