• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires and rims

crossmax03

NAXJA Forum User
i want some black rims, probably wider than the factory 7 or 8 inch width (i think they're probably 7)

based on my criteria can someone suggest decent black steel rims:

-will be running standard tires for now (no super knobbies, just plain suv on the road tires)
-would eventually like to get 31-33 inch tires
-would like some wider rims (9 or 10 inch?)

i just want something that will make a 3.5 inch lift look decent when i eventually do it (within 1-2 years i think)

am i heading the wrong direction with wider rims -- do people swap axles to get the wider stance, or do they get wider rims ?

thanks!
-b :us:

get 15x8 rockcrawlers. They will hold a 12.50 tire with no problems, and..........................................................................

learn to search!

crossmax03 said:
i just want something that will make a 3.5 inch lift look decent when i eventually do it (within 1-2 years i think)

am i heading the wrong direction with wider rims -- do people swap axles to get the wider stance, or do they get wider rims?
Many people that have lift kits do replace the stock rims with wider rims (8" is common); however, they usually get a different (less) backspacing to get that wider stance. Backspacing on stock 7" rims is 5.25". 4.75" backspacing on 8" rims and 4.5" backspacing on 7" rims is common, especially for smaller lifts.

This also depends on how wide of a tire you plan on running. If you are going to run 12.50 wide tires on a 8 inch rim you need 3.5 inch backspacing or less so they dont rub on your lower links

If you go anywider than the 8" you'll have rubbing issues with the tires befoer you do your lift. 10" is the step up from 8" rims. Cragar Soft 8's are what I have they are nice and seem to be holding up very well. How ib fg fo a tire are you wanting to run when you do your lift?

i'm not sure what size tires i will run after the lift. that's why i'm asking capability/compatibility of rims & tire sizes.

These cragar D window 8's are exactly what I had in mind.

Last edited:
Back