• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA – Pressure Switches making my Head Explode

rocketman121

NAXJA Forum User
Pun intended on the title. Anyway, I’m working on putting my OBA setup together. Ill be using the stock Sanden compressor for the job. So far I have everything I need except the pressure switch, oiler, and filter.

I searched Google, jeepforums and every other place for write-ups and installs, but only found 1 or 2 with actual part numbers. The link below gives a part # from Grainger.com (5A537). But I don’t need the 4 ports on the switch. I compared 5 different pressure switches on the site but have no clue what type F, fixed differential, etc means.

http://www.nwjeepn.com/onboardair3.htm

The part #s of the pressure switches I’m looking at:

5A537 5A020 1V624 5B417 2FG83

Any mechanical engineers on the forums?

Funny.

When I did mine using the stock compressor I used everything from thier site.

What is the problem with that switch? Use a regulator if you need a lower pressure somewhere.

Rev

My safety valve is rated at 130psi. And my air/oil filter is rated 130psi as well.

Could I put a regualtor before the oil filter to reg the pressure throughout?

Edit: And do I not need a unloader to release the pressure?

You do not need an unloader with the stock compressor.

As far as the rest....I would go to a hardware store and get an adjustable switch...in the air tools aisle.

OR...change out your low rated components.

Rev

When I used my stock compressor I put a one way valve inline, then into a manifold with my various outputs. I had a pressure relief valve and a ARB pressure switch (similar switches can be found on ebay for $20). Worked great and I never had an oiler on my system. Maybe twice a year I would spray some lubricant into the intake and that was it.

Sears has adjustable pressure release switches and they also have inline oilers. That's what I used to go with my 5 gallon tank in my trunk.

Grainger or McMasterCarr may have what you need.

I used all Kilby stuff when I did my Sanden OBA on the 91. Worked out great.

Search eBay. I bought my viair pressure switch from there, 90 on 130 off.

I can't even afford to fart in Kilby's presence, their stuff is WAY overpriced.

ViAIR switch is the way to go. i just got done with my OBA and used the 110/150. using impact with it..

I got my inline oiler at the local Home Depot, as well as the filter. I picked up the 3/8" variety for some reason, but either way, they work as desgined.

Re: the pressure switch, I got a Square D brand one at a local hardware store, it's ment for shop air compressor's, etc. But it's worked just fine in my Jeep, and it is adjustable for the cut in/cut out pressure's. IIRC, mine was set to 150 PSI and I backed it off to 125 PSI.

Back