• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 4.0 temp guage question.

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
Best I recall in the 2 newer XJ`s Ive had the temp guage ran pretty close to 200/205ish with a 195 thermo. I just serviced the cooling system in this 87 and a new 195 thermo but the guage still shows half way between 210 and 100 which looks like 170 maybe. I think my 85`s was off also but cant recall?
Is this normal moreless?
Thanks.

that is the way my 89 ran all winter and didn't have very good heat. I never did find the problem, but I would rather it run too cold than too hot.

Normally it would be a thermostat stuck open, but in my case everything was properly functioning and it was still too cool......but you should replace the thermo just to be sure.

my 87 has been through three thermostats in 18 months, a temp sender, and numerous other things because it wants to run there.

I've given up, I block off the radiator in the winter to get it at the right temp.

Ill take one of our infared temp sensors and shoot the area by the thermo and the sending unit in back and post my findings. I cant see the same engine running that much cooler than the others I had that ran right at 205 with a 195 thermo. Im thinking guage/electrical differences for some reason.

Back