• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DEATH WOBBLE PLEASE HELP!

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
So a while back befor I lifted my 97 xj I got some death wobble when turning on the freeway(farely sharp) or when putting it under a load(shifting the weight of the vehicle back and lifting the front suspension/acceleration!) So I put my full re 4.5" lift with all control arms and then did spacers(2") and it seemed to have fixed it but every once in a while on off camber bumps at freeway speed or when under a severe load the front end wobbles and hops.This only happened every once in a while(with my 32" tires) so today I put on 33s with and wheels with less backspacing an it wobbles almost all the time when under even a bit of load.
And yes I did alighn it after the lift like 3-4 months ago

Please help and thanks guys
Chadwick

yep

throwing on tires and/or lifting it wouldn't fix the problem.

what wasn't replaced when you lifted it? all of those could play a factor.

also balance tires correctly

I did search and the trac bar is fine the 33s do need to be balanced but it did it with my 32s that were balanced and I checked my ball joints and they looked good

Check everything in the front end.

Crawl under it, wieght on the tires, have someone work the wheel back and forth, look and FEEL each componant looking and listening for and loosness or thunks.

HTH

Rev

does your steering wheel return to center when you turn a corner? (by it's self) If not good your alim redone, it is not right,ok guys which one is it, caster, camber or tow?

scottmcneal said:
does your steering wheel return to center when you turn a corner? (by it's self) If not good your alim redone, it is not right,ok guys which one is it, caster, camber or tow?

Yeah... that confused the hell outta me. What about caster, camber and tow. Non of the above have anything to do with your steering wheel lining up. Thats only your drag link adjustment. The tow effects traveling/walking across the road at speeds, caster effects how easily the steering wheel turns and in most cases poor caster causes DW, and camber, from my experience, effects only the wear of the tires, not much else.

Back