• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dissadvantages of Lunch Box Locker in D30 w/o locking hubs or CAD?

I have a Aussie, its noisey but you ger used to it. The advantages off road out weigh that. You will not like it in the snow/ice on road.

xjtrailrider said:
I have a Aussie, its noisey but you ger used to it. The advantages off road out weigh that. You will not like it in the snow/ice on road.

Hit the nail on the head.

Try to heed mjd99xj's warning though.

well, cocky has already cost me a rocker..... can i get some more indepth "you'll not like it on snow and ice" cause we have had more ice around here in the last few years than i care to talk about......

the lunchbox depends on the different speeds of inside/outside tires to cause it to 'unlock' around corners and such while in 2x4. no torque allows it to click or ratchet which causes a odd sound, but its ok. When your in 4x4 it locks together and won't allow inside/outside tire speeds to change, with little to no traction in wet and snow... that lack of traction means you go straight while trying to turn, not exactly what you want.
hope that helps

terryd said:
well, cocky has already cost me a rocker..... can i get some more indepth "you'll not like it on snow and ice" cause we have had more ice around here in the last few years than i care to talk about......

I have not tried it yet since the locker is in my trail rig, I have another XJ for DD. Someone will post up some experiances I'm sure.

beakie said:
the lunchbox depends on the different speeds of inside/outside tires to cause it to 'unlock' around corners and such while in 2x4. no torque allows it to click or ratchet which causes a odd sound, but its ok. When your in 4x4 it locks together and won't allow inside/outside tire speeds to change, with little to no traction in wet and snow... that lack of traction means you go straight while trying to turn, not exactly what you want.
hope that helps

ok, i'm not so keen on that, this is my DD and i've got a 10mo old daughter who'll be riding in it in the winter and i dont need it to be much more dangerous than it already is riding with me. ok..... selectable definatly sounds like the way to go here. any cheap spools or anything for a 29 spline 8.25 other than welding?

I run a one. It just takes a little time to get use to it in the snow. I am locked F&R, so I rarely use 4wd on road. JIM.

beakie said:
When your in 4x4 it locks together and won't allow inside/outside tire speeds to change, with little to no traction in wet and snow... that lack of traction means you go straight while trying to turn, not exactly what you want.
hope that helps
This isn't entirely true....when you're in 4wd AND applying torque it will lock together. If coasting thorugh a turn it will still ratchet. If you don't have any traction, it really doesn't matter what you have. If you're open, the front will spin and you won't go anywhere anyway.

I find that I do much better now with a LockRight in the front and the ARB in the back than I did with LockRights front and rear. The locked rear tends to push the rig wherever the rear end is pointing. With an open rear and a locked front it's more apt to PULL you where you want to go.

My 2 cents.

Thanks John for correcting that.
the function of a locker is to not allow a wheel to travel slower than the ring gear.
In 2wd the front end is passive so the locker "ratchets" is allowed to differentiate around turns.
under power, the outside front wheel can still be allowed to "unlock" and rotate faster than the ring gear. the problem is that all for tires take a different path around a turn and lockers will inhibit the tires independency to "find there own speed" thus, the inside tires under power tend to push ahead straight.
I run a noslip up front and its totally invisible in 2wd. in 4wd I can't turn on pavement. I have no clue how it will behave in snow ice because I don't have a clue what snow/ice is... sand, dirt, rocks.... thats about all we got here in socal.
if ice is a concern than maybe consider a truetrac up front. I know an ausie is cheaper but it takes about the same effort to install.

Im very interested to see how my aussie works this winter (Central New York), Ive gotten to the point where i only use 4hi on the days i drag people out of ditches and when the plow trucks sleep in. I heard all the horror stories about pushing through corners, so i figured ill see for myself. Worst case i just throw stock spiders in till spring. I dont really think itll be that bad considering some of the rat bombs ive driven that should have been crushed long before i got em.

in two wheel drive you will not even know that its there.
off road is another story ..its great unless you need to turn and the tires are under load and you dont have ram asist !! but its just a matter of backing up a little our going back to 2wd !! love it other wise !! (lock right dana 30)

I just installed an aussie up front, and i absolutley love it. i walked some stuff today that i wouldnt have even thought about doing before i got the aussie... and on the street i guess there is the popping noise, but you can only really hear it from outside the vehicle. with the a/c on and some tunes playing, you cant hear a thing. honestly i dont know why the noise bugs some people...

Ive got a detroit gearless in my my mj that I drive back and forth to work and it does very well. would be alot better if I had a disconnect front axle

I have an aussie and love it, I had a true trac and the aussie is a huge improvement.

Its only been in since march so I havn't got to use it in any snow and or ice at all. I imagine it won't be much worse than my true-trac was though. The tru-trac has enough friction to make the front act more like a spool in the ice and snow. The biggest problem with that is it also screws your turning ability up in 2wd, its better in 2wd but it still turns like a bus lol. I imagine the ausie won't be much worse if at all, should be better in 2wd turning in the ice.

Back