• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with my 231J T-Case

Dannymmz

NAXJA Forum User
Danny B
2001 XJ 4x4 Inline 6 with no A.B.S. & no A.D.D.

Problem with my 231J T-Case

I seam to have rattling and gears grinding problem with my 231J T-Case. Maybe The chain, shift forks or Z-gate.

So soon I will be pulling the thing out from under my XJ so a can take it apart to see what all the noise is about. And What new parts I need to order so I can fix it.

After I remove the 231J I Will post more info about the rattling and gears grinding problem. But right now I need a big band-ad. This is my day-2-day driver So with my 231J is out for repairs. I need too swap in a empery T-case or maybe flip over to a 2WD tail housing.

If I go for a temporally 231J T-case of what years can bolt right up and give power to both sets of wheels. Speedo working or not ! I fond it hard to think any 1988~2006 231J will work in a 2001. I know from my old 91 XJ had A.D.D. lines that run thou the tail housing so I'm thinking this one will not work.

And if I go 2WD will any 2WD XJ tail housing bolt right in. And will I need the 2WD drive shaft also? Or can my rear 4WD drive shaft work. Speedo working or not !

Most likely I'm going for the cheapest of the two. Save my money for new parts to fix my 231J.

Yes I can get a used 99~01 231J but it may not be any better than my 231J. This way I can fix and upgrade my 231J with needed parts and upgrade part like Low_2WD along with a wider chain and 6 planets. And maybe a SYE kits.

HOWEVER if I Find A 2000~01 or newer 231J at a low cost I may just up-grade it.

10 bucks says you have had a slow leak and did not know it - this will cause chain slap and grind up the inside of your case (wonder how i know?!) i have a 99 same tcase and there is no indicator light for fluid levels in the tcase - i dont know why they did not install one but w/e - but i bet your levels are low and your chain has play in it - you can do an HD upgrade build for about 130 or shoot get a good used tcase with low miles - i got a sye from porc for 180 shipped and a used tcase with 30k from a wrangler, 231j for 150 off ebay so under 400 dollars and some labor i had a fresh tcase and sye - my old 231 had a RE hack and tap so i sold the tcase as it was for 50 dollars - it had 90k on it - easy and done right

Try [B]www.car-part.com[/B] for a Tcase, sort the results by price or location. Call your local junkyard, if they are feeling friendly they will tell you from their computer or Hollander exchange book which years and/or other models will bolt in.

TO aparke4 --> where is my 10 bucks at,
I did drain out the fluid a week ago and it was full with a good red color it and no matel dust in it.

---
late night I pull off the front drive shaft to help my find pen point the problem And now the t-case
makes the same noise more often and win ever I hit a small bump in 2WD but new less often in 4WD

I thinking it is not the chain but the mode shift forks are slipping back and forth.

Can I really get a 231J for around $150 ~ $250 as I have been reading ?
That seam cheap but I may try just got a use t-case. From which years
will fit in just right 99~01. the near by junkyards have 91~95 can one of
this work in a 2001

NP231 is common. I have one for sale from a 2000 XJ with an AW-4 auto transmisson. $200.00 plus actual shipping cost. Install a new chain and shift pads and drop it in, keep the old one for a spare.

Back