• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear driveshaft

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok... so i have a 2000 cherokee with a rubicon express 3.5 sf lift. i was at mabell sat and i spun my driveshaft on a rock and put a nice dent in it. so i went to the pick n pull and grabbed 2 drive shafts. ones a 94 and ones a 97 both with 8.25 axles. since the 94 is longer, can i use it to get a better driveshaft angle in the rear, or should i just use the 97 and use the other for a spare?

can i use the longer shaft with no ill effects? the way i see it, i have lifted hit, so that would mean there is less splines engaged in the slip yoke than stock. the 94 being an inch longer, would have more splines engaged in the yoke, correct?

As long as the yoke doesn't bottom out in the Transfer case through the whole suspension travel I would use it.
BUT be sure because it can/will cause damage.

The only problem would be at full deflection you don't want the spline to compress into the t-case generaly causes problems. But you are right that it would reduce the driveline angle, but very small amount. It would have to be significantly longer to reduce the angle much. Just cos sin stuff to find the new angles. I haven't done the numbers but it can't me much more than an inch longer, if it is on a 3.5 you will have some issues with it useing up all the spline. In one inch out of 36 or however long it is you would be lucky to get a one degree change.

well, im also going to install my longer shackles, therfore rasing it to 4.5 inches. i also have the rubicon express kit, which comes out to more trhan it says. im in the middle of doing it right now, but i cant get the ujoints out of the driveshaft/yoke. any tricks?

when I did mine last I used a four pound sledge and part of a broken 5/8 in bolt. Put it between some scrap 2x4's and wailed on it. But if you want to reuse the ujoints I would find something else. A two jaw puller might work if you have one, I haven't tried it but just an Idea.

The 2x4 was on the floor of my garage, i placed the drive shaft on top of the 2x4 to allow the u joint to come out of the socket. I placed the head of the bolt on the other side of the u-joint and struck it with the hammer untill it came out. It mushroomed the hell out of the bolt but the u-joint came out. Probably not the safest idea, but I have worked on many a tractor so what ever works.

You might want to consider the RE hack n Tap SYE. I've had mine for a while and it's definately worth $90. I'm sure someone will chime in about it, there seem to be mixed opinions on it but it's been great for me. Using the stock DS with the lift is going to be one headache after another.

i havent had a problem really. the lift has been on for like 5 months. sye is in the future, but i just needed a new ds cause i dented mine on a ledge at mabell. i figured the longer one so when i instastall my shackles there will be plenty of slipyoke attached to the output shaft.

Rattman said:
The 2x4 was on the floor of my garage, i placed the drive shaft on top of the 2x4 to allow the u joint to come out of the socket. I placed the head of the bolt on the other side of the u-joint and struck it with the hammer untill it came out. It mushroomed the hell out of the bolt but the u-joint came out. Probably not the safest idea, but I have worked on many a tractor so what ever works.
yea i got them out. whhat a pain in the a$$. i put the yoke on the larger sokcet, and used a smaller crap socket i had and beat them out. alot of hammering, but eventually it came out. worked better than trying to press them out with a c clamp i had. i say had, cause its in 2 pieces now

pierceME311 said:
You might want to consider the RE hack n Tap SYE. I've had mine for a while and it's definately worth $90. I'm sure someone will chime in about it, there seem to be mixed opinions on it but it's been great for me. Using the stock DS with the lift is going to be one headache after another.

X2 on the H&T. Didnt know i had drive line vibes until i got rid of them. I'm running a 3.5 RE spring w/revolvers so im about at the same height you are going to. Take the 2 shafts back to the junkyard and swap them for a ZJ front. With a swap of the DS flange you have the rear DS you need now.

Back