• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal On metal Sound

Bignicope

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know where the sound is coming from but it sounds like its something in the front. But let me give you the recent activity. This weekend I put in the bastard leaf setup in the rear of my jeep giving me a bout 4.5" lift in the rear and I placed a 3" spacer setup in the front. Giving my jeep a little bit of a forward lean. I removed the front sway bar all together from the front. When I first took it out for a test drive I didn't hear this sound. But now on day two the sound appears. Note: I onle drove the vehicle maybe 15 minutes the first day. Its almost sounds like my rotor is eating up I get a rotational metal on metal sound. ANy clues to what could be the problem?

Last edited:
yeah I get a little more sound I beleive when turning. Just curious on how the hub could have gone bad after I put the lift in. Is there anyway for me to verify if its the hub?

MEtal Rotor guard bent against the rotor? Ucked up hub bearings... worn out brake pads... a number of things... but it should be easy to find... Only a number of things move in circles up there.

The only thing I could think of that would start rubbing consistantly with adding a lift would be you accidently leaned on that mud guard for the brake rotor and bent it onto the rotor... its the most simple scenario. I hope thats it.

You removed your front sway bar?! :scared: I hope not for good!
Get disconnects for your sway bar and put that bar back in ASAP!!!
I removed the rear sway bar as mine is a 2000 XJ Classic, but installed JKS Quicker discos on the front and always hook up before I hit the pavement back home.

IMHO: For the sake of others you drive by on the road (if you do hit pavement), you need it back on in case you need to avoid an accident, or you WILL find out what that bar does as you roll and injure or kill someone or yourself. I'm sure you already know, but sometimes we need to hear the obvious from others to realize what may result negatively from our attempts to better our rigs.

I'm sure others will help you on the rest of your problems here on :NAXJA:, but I'm curious on a few things. Is this a DD or is this a trail only rig? And is the rear leaf pack you made stiff enough that you are confident enough to delete the front sway bar? And you mentioned a three inch spacer up front which tells me the front coil springs may be stock. Stock springs are by far not stiff enough to remove the front bar, even if you had the stiffest sping pack in the rear, your XJ will roll easily with stock front springs in a sudden maneuver at speed on the highway with the spacer or not. The spacer only raises the ride height and does nothing towards improving the stiffness of the stock springs.
Well good luck and check these threads on sway bars out... :rtm: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42332&highlight=REMOVE+FRONT+SWAY +BAR
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913456&highlight=REMOVE+FRONT+SWA Y+BAR

Last edited:
LR_2000_XJ said:
You removed your front sway bar?! :scared: I hope not for good!
Get disconnects for your sway bar and put that bar back in ASAP!!!
I removed the rear sway bar as mine is a 2000 XJ Classic, but installed JKS Quicker discos on the front and always hook up before I hit the pavement back home.

IMHO: For the sake of others you drive by on the road (if you do hit pavement), you need it back on in case you need to avoid an accident, or you WILL find out what that bar does as you roll and injure or kill someone or yourself. I'm sure you already know, but sometimes we need to hear the obvious from others to realize what may result negatively from our attempts to better our rigs.

I'm sure others will help you on the rest of your problems here on :NAXJA:, but I'm curious on a few things. Is this a DD or is this a trail only rig? And is the rear leaf pack you made stiff enough that you are confident enough to delete the front sway bar? And you mentioned a three inch spacer up front which tells me the front coil springs may be stock. Stock springs are by far not stiff enough to remove the front bar, even if you had the stiffest sping pack in the rear, your XJ will roll easily with stock front springs in a sudden maneuver at speed on the highway with the spacer or not. The spacer only raises the ride height and does nothing towards improving the stiffness of the stock springs.
Well good luck and check these threads on sway bars out... :rtm: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42332&highlight=REMOVE+FRONT+SWAY+BAR
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913456&highlight=REMOVE+FRONT+SWAY+BAR

:smoker:

Yeah I was going to mention that as well.... I read it then forgot all about it. JUST SAY NO! - TO NO SWAY BAR We just dont want you to die... or kill me while gracefully flipping a wonderfully engineered piece of sheet metal. They put the sway bar on for a reason.

the front swaybar isn't going to make your jeep roll over the first time it sees a turn. It can negatively impact emergency handling, but if you're not a moron then you can drive without one.

As for the grinding noise, you've changed the operating angles of all your driveline u joints. Check those, they don't generally like that sort of thing.
I'd also check your driveshaft clearance to the exhaust downpipe. The factory put a crimp in it for clearance at stock height, once you move outside that factory crimp it will rub. Mine did at 3" up front, a few minutes with a BFH and it was fixed.

87manche said:
the front swaybar isn't going to make your jeep roll over the first time it sees a turn. It can negatively impact emergency handling, but if you're not a moron then you can drive without one.

As for the grinding noise, you've changed the operating angles of all your driveline u joints. Check those, they don't generally like that sort of thing.
I'd also check your driveshaft clearance to the exhaust downpipe. The factory put a crimp in it for clearance at stock height, once you move outside that factory crimp it will rub. Mine did at 3" up front, a few minutes with a BFH and it was fixed.

I didnt say it was gunna flip in the first turn... Why take the chance! Anything could happen. Ole' Granny Smith could pull out in front of you while you're driving in the right lane. You gotta go somewhere! There this lil thing called defensive driving. Sure, you tell your insurance company,"Why didnt you drive defensivly and try to miss the other car"----"Oh, well i took off my sway bars and knew I would roll the jeep if i didnt smash head on into the other car." If you think your insurance will cover you after you wreck with no swaybar you got another thing comin. Whats the damn point! If he's too broke or too lazy to buy discos then buy a damn honda and scrap the jeep! What's the point in taking it off anyways! What advantages do you have by taking it off rather then disconnecting and leaving it on? 10lbs of weight savings, thats what you gain! Unless you're just too lazy to get out and lean over.

Last edited:
It's not him, it the dam drunks that run red lights, or just pull out in front of you or me what ever.. it is not safe.. i asked the cop next door an he does the paper work for wrecks, so he said he would write down lift with no front sway bar.. get in a wreck to see what the insurance people say, (when you can't avoid the wreck because you didn't have one)

scottmcneal said:
It's not him, it the dam drunks that run red lights, or just pull out in front of you or me what ever.. it is not safe.. i asked the cop next door an he does the paper work for wrecks, so he said he would write down lift with no front sway bar.. get in a wreck to see what the insurance people say, (when you can't avoid the wreck because you didn't have one)

LOL! Great minds think alike! Thats pretty much what i said word for word... at the same time... Strange....

Bignicope said:
yeah I get a little more sound I beleive when turning. Just curious on how the hub could have gone bad after I put the lift in. Is there anyway for me to verify if its the hub?

yes, pull your wheel and rotor off and feel for play, there should be no play in it, the axleshaft will mask it it a little. you might not have noticed it that much with a small or no lift and smaller tires, mine starting making noise after i put my u-turn kit in.

You don't say what year your XJ is.... if it is 84-86, it could be the CV joint at the transfer case end of the front driveshaft. They make a popping sound when they go bad or when you install a lift... 3" or more tends to cause a problem with this style shaft. Solution for this problem would be a custom length newer style driveshaft.

:smsoap:I sometimes drive to Los Angeles, you need sway bars to make it around the idiots so the good drivers don't hit you when you avoid the morons without license!! And those morons include some pedestrians who don't have a clue what the big red hand is for at crosswalks or even what a sidewalk is for for that matter.:twak:

Back