• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caliper replacement help.

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
I went to replace my calipers and am having some problems.

The bolt that held the old brake line on he caliper had a washer between the bolt and the line. I replaced the line on the new caliper and it leaked like hell. If I put the washer between the line and the caliper it's fine, or if I don't use the washer it's fine. Is this bad? Which way should I do it.

Also, my meat head nephew pressed the brake pedal while the cap was off under the hood. Did this basically fill the entire system with air? We are having a hell of a time bleeding the system. Should I be doing all four corners? Thanks

Those washers that go between the caliper and the brake line need to be there. They are brass and seal the line to the caliper, don't drive it without them! Also if he pushed the pedal with the cap off the master cylinder it should be fine unless it was out of brake fluid, you should keep the cap on though or fluid might splash out of the master cylinder. Might as well bleed all 4 corners starting with the furthest away then the closest last.

And make sure that you put the calipers on the correct sides. The bleeder valves need to be on top. If you put them on the bottom, you can't bleed them properly.

Ok. The only way I could get it to stop leaking was to put a brass washer on both the top and bottom of the line. Sound ok?

Back