• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32s vs 33s

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
In a few months Ill be lifting my xj with the RE 4.5in kit. I really don't want to trim the fenders all that much, as my rig is pretty spotless right now (2000 with only 80k on it). I wouldnt mind relocating the stock flares, so long as i keep the basic stock look. my question is, should I run 32's or 33's? I cant decide... Ill probably regear to 4.56's when i get the money, but that will be a few months after I get the tires on... Also, is the RE 4.5in kit too tall for 32's? Would the 3.5in kit be better suited?

There is little difference in the height of 32's vs. 33's. Half inch. Most tire mgf.'s are under, or right on, on the height of a tire. If you want a tad bit better gas mileage, go with 32x11.50's. Or get a lighter weight 33x12.50. A heavy wheel/tire combo can put some good stress on the drivetrain with stock gearing.

What kind of tire are you thinking about?

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Hell, a 32" Interco will be bigger than a 33" of many other brands so there's a lot more to it than the number on the sidewall. You should be able to fit a 33" with some minor trimming and flare relocation, still maintaining a stock-ish look. Bump stops can also keep you in check.

-----Matt-----

add a spacer or a shackle to give you a lil more leeway.

I run a 33x10.50 and have always liked the heights vs. the weight savings.

CanMan said:
There is little difference in the height of 32's vs. 33's. Half inch. Most tire mgf.'s are under, or right on, on the height of a tire. If you want a tad bit better gas mileage, go with 32x11.50's. Or get a lighter weight 33x12.50. A heavy wheel/tire combo can put some good stress on the drivetrain with stock gearing.

What kind of tire are you thinking about?

That 1/2" clearance makes a big difference if you want to hack fenders or not. I've got 5.5" of lift and run 32x11.50 BFG MT's on my '98 XJ.

I have not had to hack my fenders, or relocate my flairs...all stock. Tires stuff great all the way around, no rubbing at all, and still with 1/2" of clearance. This with the tires being new. As they wear, they obviously get smaller in diameter, and clearance becomes less of an issue...

BTW.... 4.56 and 32's will give you great low end pulling power. I turn about 2700 rpm at 65 mph (5 spd). Gas mileage takes a small hit, but I'd rather have the low end grunt....

With 33's, I know I wouldn't be able to do that without trimming fenders...

Ivan said:
That 1/2" clearance makes a big difference if you want to hack fenders or not. I've got 5.5" of lift and run 32x11.50 BFG MT's on my '98 XJ.

I have not had to hack my fenders, or relocate my flairs...all stock. Tires stuff great all the way around, no rubbing at all, and still with 1/2" of clearance. This with the tires being new. As they wear, they obviously get smaller in diameter, and clearance becomes less of an issue...

BTW.... 4.56 and 32's will give you great low end pulling power. I turn about 2700 rpm at 65 mph (5 spd). Gas mileage takes a small hit, but I'd rather have the low end grunt....

With 33's, I know I wouldn't be able to do that without trimming fenders...

If you bumpstopped you would be able to.

I got a 93 with those goofy low-cut fenders and I'm running 33x12.50s with no trimming... 6.5 Rusty's coil and some rusty's Acos adjusted all the way down to 2", Rusty's 6inch leaves and a 2 inch Shackle. Tho it does rub at full flex with the wheels at full lock but some bump stops would fix that. I do intend on doing some fender trimming just for cosmetics. Still lots of stuff to change!

GetAttachment.jpg

I run a RE 4.5 kit on my 93 with 32's and love it. I tried 33's for a while, but I like you, did not want to trim out my fenders. I honestly like the looks of the 32's w/ the 4.5 better too.

lowrange2 said:
I got a 93 with those goofy low-cut fenders and I'm running 33x12.50s with no trimming... 6.5 Rusty's coil and some rusty's Acos adjusted all the way down to 2", Rusty's 6inch leaves and a 2 inch Shackle. Tho it does rub at full flex with the wheels at full lock but some bump stops would fix that. I do intend on doing some fender trimming just for cosmetics. Still lots of stuff to change!

GetAttachment.jpg

please tell me you have long arms or drop brackets.

and an sye..?

Last edited:
yeah i was planning on either BFG All Terrains or Yokohama Geolander ATS (anyone have any experience with the Geolanders?)... and what about mileage and power with 3.55s while i was waiting to regear... would it be more managable with 32's?

Ben97XJ said:
I run a 33x10.50 and have always liked the heights vs. the weight savings.
Actually, if it's a BFG Mud, the 33x10.5's are lighter than the 32x11.5's Per BFG, a Mud-Terrain T/A KM 32X11.50R15/C weighs 49.13 lbs 33X10.50R15/C weighs 47.69. 33X12.50R15/C weighs 55.81 lbs. I have run 32x11.5's for about 9 years and have been happy with them. My wheel BS will not allow a 33x12.5 without more trimming than I have all ready done. & I do not want to give up an inch of width for 1/2" of height. Now if I could get a 34 x 11.5x15 in a radial that would last on the street, I would switch & cut some more. Though not interested in 35's

Rob

You probably already know this, but just a reminder...if your wanting to retain as close to stock ratio w/ 32's then 4.10's will be your best bet. If your wanting to get a little lower gear range, then the 4.56's will work for you but will have you spinning a little higher RPM on the highwyas etc.

I have the 4.5 RE kit and 32's. You can get away with very minor trimming and 32's but once you wheel you will tend to want to cut and go bigger. I can't wait for my BF's to go bald so Ican go up in size but the are holding their tread very well I have 36k on them and they are still going strong. Here is a pic flareless and with the bare minimum trimming in the front it may be hard to see but it was only on the front edge of the front wheel well. Sorry its the only pics I have at work hope it helps

click to enlarge

skinny tires rock.
get the 33x10.5's, they'll stuff up into the fenders, rather than be sitting underneath the flare.
There's a whole lot more to tire selection than the diameter, widers tires need more backspacing, so you're pushing the tire out even farther. The farther the tire is the more likely it's going to hit the flare when you stuff it.
Get some skinny tires, run them on stock rims, adjust the steering stop and you'll be good.

I have an RE 4.5 and 33x12.5 TruXus Mt's. I had to trim a little but I retained the stock flares via the great write-up I found here :worship: .
Looks great, I have no more rubbing issues and cutting sheet metal is not only fun but addicting. BTW I have a 2001 w/ 85,000

Back