• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux Fan question (not running as fast as should)

bizkit642

NAXJA Forum User
Did a little test tonite trying to find out why my truck is running a little hot.

The aux fan is coming on, BUT its definately not moving as fast as it should.

New motor?

-Andrew

You might wanna think about flushing the radiator and changing thermostat. the fan motor probably does need changed also but do would do all three.

92xjsp said:
How did you determine it's not running as fast as it should?

Well I have two XJ's. Waited till the truck got warm enough to kick on the fan and it just barely buzzes around. Definately not as fast as my other one.

-Andrew

Are both same year? They improved the fan at some point, I think like 93 or so. My 92 has the old slower fan.

I think the fan motors are single-speed and I'm not aware of any malfunction that would cause it to slow down, except possibly a very bad electrical connection that starves it of current. You might try checking the wiring.

Nonetheless, the faster fan would be an improvement, so you could replace yours with a newer one. I've been meaning to do this just on general principles, but the old model is sufficient if everything else in the cooling system is working right. If you're having overheating problems, I doubt a faster aux fan alone will fix the problem. Check some of the recent overheating posts for a list of other things to do to fix overheating.

92xjsp said:
Are both same year? They improved the fan at some point, I think like 93 or so. My 92 has the old slower fan.

I think the fan motors are single-speed and I'm not aware of any malfunction that would cause it to slow down, except possibly a very bad electrical connection that starves it of current. You might try checking the wiring.

Nonetheless, the faster fan would be an improvement, so you could replace yours with a newer one. I've been meaning to do this just on general principles, but the old model is sufficient if everything else in the cooling system is working right. If you're having overheating problems, I doubt a faster aux fan alone will fix the problem. Check some of the recent overheating posts for a list of other things to do to fix overheating.

Well I shouldn't really say overheating. just running a tad hot, nothing to worry about though, its been 100 degrees plus here lately.

The one I'm having problems on is a 98, my other is an 00.

The main thing that got me thinking about it is I can always here the fans kick on, on my 00, but never on the 98.

-Andrew

bizkit642 said:
Well I shouldn't really say overheating. just running a tad hot, nothing to worry about though, its been 100 degrees plus here lately.

The one I'm having problems on is a 98, my other is an 00.

The main thing that got me thinking about it is I can always here the fans kick on, on my 00, but never on the 98.

-Andrew

Hmm, that is wierd betwen a 98 and an 00. Are the fans visually identical? Well, check the connectors at least, to be sure it's getting power.

92xjsp said:
Hmm, that is wierd betwen a 98 and an 00. Are the fans visually identical? Well, check the connectors at least, to be sure it's getting power.

Positive its getting power. The fan still works, just looks like its moving at about 20 percent of the actual power/speed it should be.

-Andrew

CHECK THE GROUND

Using a volt meter, check the voltage of each wire to the battery neative post. The hot wire should read a good 13 or more volts. The second wire should read less than 0.1 volts, both with the fan running. If the ground leg wire is reading much more than 0.1 volts the ground is at least part of the problem, the higher the back voltage on the ground wire the more it will slow down the motor. If the input voltage is much less than 13 volts, like 11 volts of less, than it is bad connection somewhere in the positive supply wire, may be the fan relay contacts are shot.

If you have 13 or more volts on one leg and less than 0.1 volts on the other (fan running) then it is the fan motor (brushes or bearings?) that is going bad.

Back