• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Containing pressure at Reiter

JBweld

NAXJA Forum User
It's been a couple years since my first experience at Reiter trails, and I finally made it back there today. That first trip consisted of only the Lake Issabel trail, so I have been waiting to get back out there and see what the rest of Reiter has to offer. Well...it started out pretty good today, as Hans(Xjourney) and I made the Journey south towards Monroe to meet Michael (2extreme) and his brother Marc, for the rest of the short ride to the trails.

Michael and I had planned out, and fabricated (with Marc, Hans, and Ryans help) similar roll cages a while back, and had planned on a trip to celebrate finally finishing the tube work. Weeks of hard work, was briefly awarded with a couple hours of cool obstacles/trails, followed by mechanical problems. Michael can chime in with the trails we ran today, because I have no idea what they were named! The problems started with Michael tearing a valve stem early on. No big deal, right? Well, we were surprised to find that none of us had spare valve stems or cores, and had to make a repair using rubber cement and a piece of hose pushed over the ripped stem. It worked for a while, but pressure from rocks and roots forced air past the band aid. This repair was attempted again and got us another hundred yards down the trail, towards the parking lot, when it failed again. Help came from the last place we expected, a couple riding in a Polaris ATV. When we in desperation we asked for a valve stem, the driver pulled out a box and gave us 2 of them from a collection of several. Turns out he works for Les Schwab. How's that for service. After making the necessary tire repairs, we headed back out.

We didn't get too far, and on a sandy hill climb, my clutch pedal went to the floor without any resistance, followed by a woosh and a puff of smoke from under the hood. I popped the hood and we jumped out to find a small fire on the wiring harness loom above the injectors. Marc blew it out, and then we discovered the problem. The high-pressure poly line that runs from the clutch master cylinder to the slave had split, and sprayed fluid onto the header. The atomized oil then briefly caught fire. We made some trail repairs on the tubing, again involving sleeving the leak with rubber hose to contain the high pressure, and limped off the trail. None of the parts houses in the area had what we needed, so we were done wheeling.

The clutch repair didn't last long, and before we reached Monroe, I couldn't use the clutch anymore. Starting the truck in gear at intersections and matching revs to slide it into gear was an adventure. But the Jeep did it's job and got me home safely.

I didn't manage to get many pics, but here's what I got:
Reiter007.jpg

Here's Marc stuffing Michaels front spring back in after it fell out:
Reiter004.jpg

Reiter006.jpg

Reiter005.jpg

Reiter010.jpg

Reiter009.jpg

I don't know how much of a celebration it was for me since I still have TONS of work to do;) but it was great to go wheeling again!

We ran "Stair Step" to the top of the "Poop Shoot" to the begining of "Sac Up" then up and back down "Sac Up" then up to the "Power Line Trail", then
"Cable" and then back down to the trail to finish up any last ditch trail repair's.

Jeremy on "Stair Step" after scaring us all half to death!!
DSCN9935.jpg

Coming down the "Poop Shoot"
DSCN9936.jpg

DSCN9937.jpg

DSCN9938.jpg

DSCN9939.jpg

DSCN9940.jpg

DSCN9942.jpg

Great Day with Great People!
Michael

how far up the lake isabell trail did you get?

my friends and i were their last week and we got up to the log bridge then attempted to hike to the lake but we couldnt find the trail

alexer03 said:
how far up the lake isabell trail did you get?

my friends and i were their last week and we got up to the log bridge then attempted to hike to the lake but we couldnt find the trail

We didn't go up the Lk Isabelle trail.
After the bridge is where it get's more challengeing with larger and larger rock's to navigate.

Michael

1996cc said:
Can you post (or link to) some pics of the cagework on the gray XJ, especially the interior? Looks like a nice set up.

Michael and I were planning on putting together a thread one of these days. Stay tuned. Besides, Michael probably wants to finish it first before he shows it off. It's almost complete and looks great!

DSCN9935.jpg

You need the audio that went along with that photo
2xtreme said:
"Oh sh!t, that is the scariest thing I have seen. Hold on let me get my camera"

It took all three of us(550lbs) on the front driver fender to get Jeremy's jeep in a better position.

XJourney said:
DSCN9935.jpg

You need the audio that went along with that photo

It took all three of us(550lbs) on the front driver fender to get Jeremy's jeep in a better position.

I have never wished so much that I had though to take a video of this obstacle before it happened.

How did you come up with 550lbs for the thress of us? You must weight much more than it looks like;) (Do I look fat in these pants :D )

Michael

Megawatt said:
Michael and I were planning on putting together a thread one of these days. Stay tuned. Besides, Michael probably wants to finish it first before he shows it off. It's almost complete and looks great!

Jeremy and I will put together a thread soon to show both rig's with cage work. Unfortunately VERY little of the interior work is done in mine (the grey Jeep). Jeremy's (the black one) on the other hand is basically totally complete. I will try to stop slacking and get it done :D

Michael

2xtreme said:
How did you come up with 550lbs for the thress of us?

205lbs(me)+ 180lbs(Marc)+ 160Lbs(you) =545lbs

Maybe you Lee brothers are lighter then I thought ;)

2xtreme said:
You must weight much more than it looks like
Remember muscle weighs more then fat :D

The picture just doesn't do it any justice. It was pretty scary. Let's just say I was gripping the seat, while my hands were busy driving.

Nice pics guys - I haven't been to Rieter yet and now want to go even more. Maybe in '08 when I get off my a$$ and actually wheel again. :cool:

2xtreme said:
How did you come up with 550lbs for the thress of us? You must weight much more than it looks like;)

Dude, it's the Amish biceps! The ultimate wheeling counterbalance. :laugh3:

-i

EDIT: Crap, my names in black! better fix that ...

adamusmc2002 said:
So Jeremy, you were closer to tipping backwards than it looks? Cuz the pic just looks like you're three-wheeling.

The pics of me in the same spot look tame compared to that...and *I* felt like I was close to going over. :p Of course that's changed since wheeling East of the mountains on some of those tight, offcamber spots. :D

adamusmc2002 said:
So Jeremy, you were closer to tipping backwards than it looks? Cuz the pic just looks like you're three-wheeling.

Yes. Keep in mind that the picture was taken while looking down on it. Besides the steepness of the obstacle, it's off camber. Also, Hans and Marc were already helping out. Michael jumped up on the driverside of the bumper after taking the picture, and Marc also moved to the driverside to help push the front-end down.

Michael went through it and lifted a tire slightly, but chose a slightly lower line that worked out better.

I installed the new clutch master/slave today. Nice to have a clutch again!

Glad to hear you have a clutch again.

Look at his Pass. side suspension, it ISN'T compressed at all. The other thing you don't see, is in that picture behind Marc(the tall guy) is a cliff with nothing to stop you for 2-3 revolutions. Plus pictures never do a situation justice. It was the hairiest thing I have seen wheeling.

DSCN9935.jpg

XJourney said:
Plus pictures never do a situation justice. It was the hairiest thing I have seen wheeling.

I have been on this obstacle many times in the past. It does provide a little pucker factor, but I have been other obstacles that have felt worse. In this case, I believe there were two factors that made this more scary than I have experienced in the past. The first is that the line was slightly higher than it should have been (if you look at the rear DS tire, it should have been a few inches further to the pass side). But in my mind what made this significantly more difficult is fact that Jeremy's Jeep is a stick. Working the clutch and creeping over this obstacle is EXTREMELY difficult.

205lbs(me)+ 180lbs(Marc)+ 160Lbs(you) =545lbs
Maybe you Lee brothers are lighter then I thought

I think your amish muscles must be much larger than I gave you credit for ;)
And I have much more flab than muscle than you thought :D

Good to hear on your clutch!!

Michael

IXNAYXJ said:
I had a similar incident there, though I was going down it and raised the right rear really high. Thought I was a goner. That was back on 33's, 3.07 gears, and a Les Schwab 4" lift, mind you.
:shiver:

-----Matt-----

This is one obstacle that a stick would be a huge disadvantage and crawl ratio is significant.

I have never tried coming down that obstacle, Have you gone up it Matt?

Michael

Back