• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter replacement

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I buy a catalytic converter that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Mine is rattling on the inside. Sounds like a bunch of stones bouncing around.

Thanks.

hey dude, actualy chrysler's got a recall on this, theyll replace it for free. just had mine done, didn't cost me a thing. just give you'r local dealership a call and theyll take care of it for ya.

jeepfreak84 said:
sorry, yeah there are certain years applicable only. just looked it up the years according to D.C. are 96 to 01.

Does it depend on miles at all?

-Andrew

You can get a highflow car sound cat from ebay for pretty cheap.

Ravi

"Chrysler will also send notices to approximately 300,000 owners of the affected vehicles informing them of the potential catalytic converter failure and reminding them that their original catalytic converters are still covered by the original 8-year/80,000-mile warranty. Owners of the remaining 500,000 vehicles will receive a recall notice for repair of the defective OBD system on their vehicles. For those recalled vehicles, the catalytic converter will be inspected and repaired if found to be defective. "

"Most owners experience a rattling noise from the underside of their vehicle as the catalytic converter deteriorates. The EPA-CARB investigation also disclosed that the OBD system installed on certain of the 1996, 1997, and 1998 model year vehicles -- which should have detected the catalytic converter problem and illuminated the dashboard "check engine" light -- may not function properly, leaving some owners unaware of the problem."

So what do we have to do, go to the dealership and tell them you want a new cat? Mine rattles and it's a 98 so i might be in luck. woohoo!

you can get new ones at NAPA auto parts. i have the universal one on mine and its smogs just as clean as it did new.

in california i cant sell a non california emission legal cat, they wont ship it to me. even the universals are CA smog legal. your local parts stores will be able to get whatever is legal for you to run in your state.

just a heads up the cat is a PITA to get off, it took me about an hour with a BFH to get mine off the pipe :D i suppose i could have just cut it off....

I just called the dealer and they said mine isnt going to be covered, ive got 108k a 98 and it rattles, but no replacement?

BBeach said:
I just called the dealer and they said mine isnt going to be covered, ive got 108k a 98 and it rattles, but no replacement?

I didn't even bother calling to see if mine was covered, I'd rather spend the 100 bucks and do it myself than trust the dealer to work on it.

i'm getting a whole new exhaust because i pinched mine and I ordered a 2.5" cat with an O2 sensor bung for $68 shipped to my door. the cat is CA legal and made by car sounds from megnaflow. I'm going 2.5" exhaust with a better flowmaster out the end. I got my cat from ebay. check it out. OBD2 cat.

BBeach said:

I have the same thing and they told me the exact same thing.

I was really hoping it would be covered, oh well I guess.

-Andrew

Back