• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar nutserts?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
How is the swaybar held to the "frame"? Nutserts? I was removing mine to put on swaybar reloc. brackets and two of the four bolts stripped out. Can I just go to the dealership and get new nutserts and bolts?

just drill them and tap them for somewhat larger bolts.

uh...take a bolt and thread it back in. and next time, just don't f*k up the thread when you try to reinstall it or w/e.

it's seriously a 20 min. job why would you pay for that? $5 for a tap, get a drill and run it slowly in.

torch it out is all I can say...or try and weld the nut back down behind it if you can get at it.

not a fun project.

Doesn't sound like the nut stripped, sounds like the nut broke loose inside the frame.
The cost to fix that, by a shop, is going to be high.
Not sure how to be absolutely sure that the nut has broken free, but the fact that the bolt spins without backing off is a good indicator.
If it were me, I'd start by putting large vise-grips on the bolt-head, such that you can pry down ward as you try to turn the bolt. If this won't result in the bolt cumming out, then I'd cut the heads off of the bolts in order to drop the sway bar. Now you have more "bolt" to work with. Again try the vise-grip/pry-thing. You may (shop) have to weld a stud to the cut bolt (or to the original bolt-head, for that matter), and try a slide-hammer to remove the bolt. Worst case is having to cut a hole in the frame to allow access to the nut. That will be a big, read expensive, job.
Good luck!

xjbubba said:
Doesn't sound like the nut stripped, sounds like the nut broke loose inside the frame.

That's what happened to mine. They are easy to get to....once the front bumper is off. The don't sit too far back in the frame tube. I eliminated all of mine and dropped a grade 8 bolt down from inside and tack welded it in place. Bushings are easy to replace with that setup, just a matter of spinning a nut/washer off from the bottom.

XJINGA said:
That's what happened to mine. They are easy to get to....once the front bumper is off. The don't sit too far back in the frame tube. I eliminated all of mine and dropped a grade 8 bolt down from inside and tack welded it in place. Bushings are easy to replace with that setup, just a matter of spinning a nut/washer off from the bottom.
That's great, if he can get at them from the front by dropping the bumper. I was thinking the nuts were farther back. With that info, if I were him, I'd drop the bumper and take a look.

Depending on what side it is i dont belive that you can reach the swaybar mounting bolts from the hole in the end of the frame. atleast that is on the drivers side. Now can you access the swaybar nuts on the passenger side by reaching in the frame or no? Because im having the same problem on mine where one stripped out.

Ha, Ha, that was 9 months ago. I'll bet he's already figured something out. But, he never did get back with us like he said he would. tsk, tsk.

im curious as to what he figured out because i really dont want to take my bumper off to find i cant access the nuts. seeing i put a c-rok frame strengthener for my steering box i had to somewhat force my bumper on lol and it would be difficult to get on and off.

If I recall, you can get to the nuts on the inside. Send the OP a PM, I bet hes probably not watching this thread anymore.

Back