• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering locking up?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to lengthening my draglink yesterday to fix my alignment and center steering wheel. not I can't turn the wheel left very far it just locks up on me. At fist I thought it was the front skid because the nuts on the adjustable sleeve were coming in contact with it, but then I remoeved the skid and same thing. Any ideas?

WaXJ_Skier said:
I finally got around to lengthening my draglink yesterday to fix my alignment and center steering wheel. not I can't turn the wheel left very far it just locks up on me. At fist I thought it was the front skid because the nuts on the adjustable sleeve were coming in contact with it, but then I remoeved the skid and same thing. Any ideas?
Got around to it? Don't take that long! :D Is your axlecentered? (track bar adjusted correctly)_ Adjusting drag doesn't have anything to do with alighnment, in other words the toe stays the same, your just moving the steering wheel.

RyanM said:
Got around to it? Don't take that long! :D Is your axlecentered? (track bar adjusted correctly)_ Adjusting drag doesn't have anything to do with alighnment, in other words the toe stays the same, your just moving the steering wheel.
the axle is centered, yeah I was just lazy and didn't realize how quick and painless it was going to be.

Get tires straight, visually. Disconnect TRE on pitman, Have someone to turn full lock left and right, Stop them when the pitman arm is in the 'middle'. Check Toe, Adjust, re attach, re adjust draglink to get it pinpoint.

the Pitman arm looks very centered alread when the wheel i centered. Is there any sort of "memory" in any part of the steering system? this didn't start happening until the drag link got stopped by the skid and then it started locking there even after I removed the skid.

HMMMM, Are the Knuckles reaching the steering stops on the housing? Draglink hitting track bar bolt or swaybar link??

RyanM said:
HMMMM, Are the Knuckles reaching the steering stops on the housing?

shouldn't be the only thing Ive touched is the wheel, the drag link, and the skid. and it still has full steering to the right

went and double checked a few things, it was the location of the pitman arm. I guess I lengthened the drag link a little too much and got an extra rotation in on the wheel before it centered. so its all good now thanks for the help.

WaXJ_Skier said:
went and double checked a few things, it was the location of the pitman arm. I guess I lengthened the drag link a little too much and got an extra rotation in on the wheel before it centered. so its all good now thanks for the help.
;) :nono: :D

RyanM said:
actually I screwed up on perspose so I could get more time under the Jeep. Working on the Jeep is like foreplay:D

Back