• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubicon express lower control arm bushings

alteredxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok a little info first my jeep is a 1988 xj 5.5" rubicon express lift installed in sping of 2000. the factory rubber bushing are shot. i ordered new ones from RE using a 20 ton press pushed out the old bushings. Using a drum sander i just cleaned up the arms making sure their aren't any burrs using the hot plate that is use for heating bearings (this work was done at my buddys shop where the work on 500hp eletric motors)we heated the arms to 1200 than we froze the bushings with liquid nytrogen and still his press air over hydrolic would not push the bushings in.

So whats the trick i called RE and they clam they just press them in

I just upgraded my uppers to the new design of bushing. They came with a stainless sleeve you have to press into the Arm. I was able to do it with my vice. However, I don't think any of my hammers, my jack handle(cheater bar on vice) will ever be the same.

That's strange. I just replaced mine not too long ago. Pried the old bushings out with a screwdriver. Greased up the new ones and popped them in with a rubber mallet.

:dunno:

Upper or Lower control arms?

I recall the uppers use a smaller diameter bushing. If you got the larger lower control arm bushings you could try but they won't fit.

BlueCuda said:
I just upgraded my uppers to the new design of bushing. They came with a stainless sleeve you have to press into the Arm. I was able to do it with my vice.
Yes, I would recommend using these new bushings rather than the old style. They install VERY easily, which, of course, makes removal easy as well when that time comes.

Damn, they pressed something else in as well! :D I have paid big money to have my shit ready for a weekend before. I dropped $300 bones to have my true-trac removed and my ausie put in. It was thursday and I left out of town for a wheeling trip friday lol. Hell he could have charged me $500 LOL.

Back