• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lp 30 change out for a hp 30???

mikereid350

NAXJA Forum User
i got 00xj with a lp 30.. going to be putting on a 6" to 8" lift on the winter and was woundering if i could just swap my lp 30 for a hp 30... i need to keep with a daya 30 bc i have a arb airlocker....

what size tires are you running?

this is a noob question.

BUT

obviously a low pinion has a lower set pinion coming out of the "pumpkin" and vice-versa for the high pinion. I think I got that right?

so what's the difference on the outer ends, I'm told there is one?

I'm looking to do this swap on my 89.

mikereid350 said:
thining of 33" x 10" bfg or super swampers
Then why are you going to run 8 inches of lift. Try 4.5 inches.

Personally I think 33s and 6-7" of lift looks pretty sweet...TONS of flex....and you dont have to hack up your fenders

MoFo said:
If you have an 89, it already has a high pinion Dana 30. What swap are you looking to do?

not necessarily true.

it's an 89 comanche and is a CAD axle not a non-disco.

n69205416_32154055_439.jpg
http://photos-416.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v107/198/76/69205416/n69205416_32154055_439.jpg
n69205416_32151439_4629.jpg

that's the axle in my 89. I just don't know what the difference ACTUALLY is so an explanation would be helpful regarding it :D and are hp's a reverse cut gear?

sorry to hijack, but perhaps this will help out others as well?

JNickel101 said:
Personally I think 33s and 6-7" of lift looks pretty sweet...TONS of flex....and you dont have to hack up your fenders

Sure it looks sweet but it can be deadly with such a high center of gravity. 33s don't need anything close to that amount of lift.

understood.

now please, answer to the other question...what is the difference other than the pinion, i know things are different....

jeepcomj said:
understood.

now please, answer to the other question...what is the difference other than the pinion, i know things are different....

2000 and 2001 got the LP D30....at the same time they changed the unit-bearings and brake rotors.

you can use the older unit-bearings and rotors on the LP axle and vice-versa, but they must be paired correctly.

lancey3 said:
Sure it looks sweet but it can be deadly with such a high center of gravity. 33s don't need anything close to that amount of lift.

This is getting SOOOOOOOO old! I personally think that if they wanna do 26 inchs of lift with lowprofile tires... let em do it! If he rolls over let em roll over... Chances are that if they want to go with such a high lift then they care nothing about COG. LIke myself, I have 8 inchs of lift with 33s and love it... It looks good, rides good, and I can go thru and over ANYTHING I want to around here... there's no reason to get off camber around here. If he wants to park his shit on top of a VW then let him. Now if I had rocks and shit to drive over top of around here then it might be a different story... I would agree with you all the way but It def depends on his type of wheeling.

lowrange2 said:
This is getting SOOOOOOOO old! I personally think that if they wanna do 26 inchs of lift with lowprofile tires... let em do it! If he rolls over let em roll over... Chances are that if they want to go with such a high lift then they care nothing about COG. LIke myself, I have 8 inchs of lift with 33s and love it... It looks good, rides good, and I can go thru and over ANYTHING I want to around here... there's no reason to get off camber around here. If he wants to park his shit on top of a VW then let him. Now if I had rocks and shit to drive over top of around here then it might be a different story... I would agree with you all the way but It def depends on his type of wheeling.

Lets go run some tight turns at speed and do some panic type maneuvers. I bet you can't keep up in the turns with your 8" of lift compared to me 3" of lift or 5" of lift(33's on both of them). In a panic manuever you are way more likely to roll just like when off camber. With 8" of lift I'd run 37" or 38" tires. You wheel in more mud then rocks I would guess so bigger tires would be better. I bet I also have more fender clearance with 5" of lift then you have with 8" due to my fender mods. I will be stepping up to 36" tires or bigger at 5" of lift soon.

The lower you COG the safer you are... Big lifts with little tires make me think about posers and people that don't know better, neither of which you strike me as. By the way hows the ride quality up there.... :)

Back