• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny trouble

jcbsr1

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1988 xj with the comfort and power switch.when the switch is on the comfort mode it will slip.when on power mode it shifts hard,but no slipping. any thoughts?

The differences in my comfort and power mode are fairly subtle. Much if it seems to be a change in shift points (RPM).
Your TV cable may need to be adjusted. Shift pressures changes with RPM, part of the job of the TV is to minimize this somewhat.
Mine used to have some slippage issues, about 4-5 years ago. Much of it disappeared when I dumped the ATF and changed back to Dexron. It seemed to improve some after each fluid change, it takes a few changes to replace all (most) of the old fluid. A lot stays in the torque converter, when the pan is emptied.

Last edited:
How many miles?
Has the trans. ever been serviced?
Does it slip in all gears?

Whatever else, keep it in "power" mode until you get it sorted out. Even if it's a simple problem, slipping will ruin the clutches and bands

jcbsr1 said:
i have a 1988 xj with the comfort and power switch.when the switch is on the comfort mode it will slip.when on power mode it shifts hard,but no slipping. any thoughts?

Make sure it has the correct tranny fluid in it, and not chrysler tranny fluid!

Check the TCU to tranny wiring as well as the Power/Comfort switch wiring to the TCU and the TPS ground, and TPS idle and WOT voltages on the four pin tranny side of the TPS for the correct voltages. Good chance it is a bad TPS or bad wiring or a bad ground in the TPS-ECU-Tranny connections, or the wrong tranny fluid.

Back