• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 HO swap into 89 renix MJ

purvisdotcom

NAXJA Forum User
I have a free 97 donor xj with 67,000 miles on it to swap into my 89 renix MJ.

I plan to use the following from the 97:

-closed radiator system
-wiring harness
-engine including manifolds, PS pump, throttle body, sensors, everything attached
-could put in the instrument cluster too, so it works with the sensors.

It seems like the hardest part will be the wiring. If I can pull the engine out with the parts attached, shouldn't it be pretty straight forward, since I will not be interchanging hardly any parts between years?

Anything I'm missing that will be a hang up?:dunno:

I will be attaching an AW4 with attached tcase to this engine.

Also since I don't have an engine hoist, I might have to rent one, or is there a way around that?

I'm really trying to find out if it's worth it to me, because although it is FREE, my Renix only has 87,000 miles as well.

Seems like a LOT of work for not a lot of gain. I put a '95 engine into my '88 and was faced with a similar choice. I decided to leave the MPI and stick with the renix, as the HP gain is nominal for the amount of work you're talking about. In my case, I had no choice but to swap the engine, as my old enging was blown. In your case, you have a good engine, why mess with a good thing? Keep the other engine for the day the other goes bad.

As for the other parts, I would follow the same. If it needs to be improved, then do it. If not, wait. I have a really nice closed radiator system sitting in my garage, but I haven't swapped it yet. Why? My Jeep never overheats. If it ain't broke...well, you know the rest.

Good luck!

yeah probably sage advice. I think I'll most likely store away the other engine.

I have to get in there already in order to change the clutch, so I'm going to swap out the BA-10 with my free AW4, since I know they are known to have problems. did some searching on that and its not super easy either.

Oh well

avnsteve said:
WOW! where in hell did you find a renix with so little time on the clock?

:worship: :worship: :worship:
I know...I am almost suspicious of the odometer, but the motor and everything else like the seats and such...shows not too much wear, so I think its legit.
:roflmao:Also to make everyone more jealous...:wave1:
I traded my old hunting bow for this truck, I had to run brake lines, do some pretty major rust work/cutting and now I think the CPS is out and the clutch needs replacing.

It has a poo-goat 5 speed and 231, has D44 axles with trac-loc. once this bad boy is going it's gonna be sweet. I might swap the poo-goat though. I have access to 2 free AW4's...it just sounds like a PITA.

Oh and almost forgot, I got a $250 donor 94 xj country and it has the whole armor on the bottom so that will be going on the truck as well. there is lots of cool places in Hawaii to go 4x4

Back