• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no 4 low

purvisdotcom

NAXJA Forum User
I got my MJ and don't know the whole history, but it does not go into 4 low. at first I followed all the vacuum lines and found some thrashed ones going into the vacuum pump(passenger side on front axle). ran new ones, but same prob.

I am considering just throwng in a new tranny/232 combo, but could this be something easy? I thought maybe the chain, but then why only in 4lo?

Thanks

poogoat.jpg
ifcancan

my inpiration for today:
the delicate french poo-goat, fairest of the woodland creatures.

Last edited:
purvisdotcom said:
I got my MJ and don't know the whole history, but it does not go into 4 low. at first I followed all the vacuum lines and found some thrashed ones going into the vacuum pump(passenger side on front axle). ran new ones, but same prob.

I am considering just throwng in a new tranny/232 combo, but could this be something easy? I thought maybe the chain, but then why only in 4lo?

Thanks

No 4-low has nothing to do with your tranny, however you do have one that is usually not as good as the others. Secondly, I have never heard of a "232" t-case. I assume you are confusing the 231 and the 242, and if not good luck with the 232 :huh: .

Your problem is probably the t-case linkage is either bent or out of adjustment. To fix, just loosen the nut on the linkage and put the shifter in 4-low and manually put the t-case in 4-low and tighten the nut. It may take some fine tuning but should get you started good.

yep I meant 231. I'll try the linkage thing. The tranny swap idea is mostly because of the negative things I hear about the BA, plus the fact that I need to rebuild my clutch anyways, so might as well have a little more pain in the ass

Back