• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taurus Fan Setup - Searched

BigG

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and haven't found anyone who has done something quite like I am planning. I have included a picture below of the wiring I have thought out so far. I plan to use a DCController Fk35 to operate the low speed portion of the Taurus fan, and have a SPDT switch that will allow me to disable the FK35 and activate a 85A relay to run the High speed of the fan when I choose. I will also be able to disable the fan entirely for water crossings.

The problem I am running into is how to disable the FK35. Can I just hook up the IGN source from the switch to the IGN line of the FK35?

TaurusFan.jpg

if I remember correctly from the DC site, don't you hook the controller into the High speed line, so that the controller can allow it to spin up and not need the 85amp relay/fuze?
You could hook the Slow side on its own, for use when you want it on all the time and still move plenty of air. But I thought the purpose of the DC controller was so that it can work the High speed setting of the fan to the required speed without overloading your battery/alt system or the wiring running to it.

Doesn't the high speed of the taurus fan draw too many amps for even the FK60 to handle?

My setup is going to be very similar to Go-Jeep's, except I am using the FK35 instead of the OEM fan controller. I have the parts ordered and on the way, I just need to know where is the best place to disable/enable the FK35.

the FK35 needs power right? interrupt that feed with a relay controlled by a switch. have it on all the time, and when you want to turn it off (crossing water or controlling the other fan speed on your own) you can flip the switch so the FK35 has no power to it.

BigG said:
I have searched and haven't found anyone who has done something quite like I am planning. I have included a picture below of the wiring I have thought out so far. I plan to use a DCController Fk35 to operate the low speed portion of the Taurus fan, and have a SPDT switch that will allow me to disable the FK35 and activate a 85A relay to run the High speed of the fan when I choose. I will also be able to disable the fan entirely for water crossings.

The problem I am running into is how to disable the FK35. Can I just hook up the IGN source from the switch to the IGN line of the FK35?

TaurusFan.jpg

I have the FK60 on my dual fan configuration. The FK35 should work fine with the Taurus fan on high. If you want to hear it from the horse's mouth e-mail Brian at DCC and ask him for piece of mind, I sent him an e-mail 3 weeks ago and got a fairly timely response. I would definitely wire into the high speed wire on the fan instead of the other way you mentioned, that way you are getting the full benefit of the DCC controller.

I have mine so that a always hot wire runs to the IGN input on the controller. This way, when I reach my destination the fan can continue to run as long as the temp. sensor feels necessary. I do have this always hot line running through relay that is controlled by an on-dash switch. With this I can turn off the fans for water crossings or make sure the fans don't accidentally engage when working underhood.

MGrobe said:
I have the FK60 on my dual fan configuration. The FK35 should work fine with the Taurus fan on high. If you want to hear it from the horse's mouth e-mail Brian at DCC and ask him for piece of mind, I sent him an e-mail 3 weeks ago and got a fairly timely response. I would definitely wire into the high speed wire on the fan instead of the other way you mentioned, that way you are getting the full benefit of the DCC controller.

I have mine so that a always hot wire runs to the IGN input on the controller. This way, when I reach my destination the fan can continue to run as long as the temp. sensor feels necessary. I do have this always hot line running through relay that is controlled by an on-dash switch. With this I can turn off the fans for water crossings or make sure the fans don't accidentally engage when working underhood.

Does the IGN input draw enough power to need to be on a relay, or can it be run directly off the switch? This seems like using a relay to trip a relay.

BigG said:
Does the IGN input draw enough power to need to be on a relay, or can it be run directly off the switch? This seems like using a relay to trip a relay.

No it doesn't. I have mine setup with a redundant set of relays and wiring just in case the controller dies on me. So because of how this intertwines, mine involves a relay. You certainly could pass the power directly through a switch though.

Great. Thanks!

Back