• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mods to my 96

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
I currently own an 87 XJ but will be tearing it down and using whatever I can on the 96 I'm hoping to get.

Here are the things I have questions about...

The rear driveshaft has changed from 87 to 96. So does this mean I'm SOL with the SYE setup I have on the 87?

Also, I would like to use the axles off of my 87. They have 4.56 gears and a lock-rite in the rear. The front is a non-disco D30 and the rear is a D44 and has proven itself with 33" tires and I want to go to 35" eventually. Will the spring perches be the same on all these axles? I'm assuming they are, I just want to make sure so I don't get stuck in the middle of putting them on and realize I need to modify.

Other then that I have bumpers, fender flares and seats that I want to put into the 96. I doubt I'll have problems with any of those things though.

So far I'm glad I found a 96. It's in GREAT condition. After reading some info on the 96 year model I think it'll be my favorite year. Strengthened the body, still has fiberglass hatch and washer fluid still in engine compartment.

When I'm done I think I'll be going with Rusty's 4.5" lift kit (the skyjacker kit in the front of my 87 has seen better days and the rear leafs are too much lift) and be sitting on 35s.

It will be nice to have a Jeep that isn't falling a part. I'm amazed at how little rust it has and how new the interior still looks. I wasn't too thrilled about the 150,000 miles it had, but I know these engines can go well past 200,000. My 87 is living proof. I've beat that thing hard. I've even burried it in a watery sand hole overnight (front end only) and all I had to do was drain the oil, put some new oil in and it still runs hard.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I plan on building a stroker. Can I use the block from the 87 and eventually put it in the 96, or will there be mounting/sensor issues?

The SYE may not work, the spline count was changed in the xfer case, I do not know about the rear shaft part.

The axles are a direct swap, have fun. Unless your 96 has the 8.25 with ABS.

The engines are completly different and swaping would be a headache.

I'm working with simular XJ's. I took the Rusty's 3" off my 88 and put it on the 96. I'm also swaping the skid plates. My 96 has the 8.25 rear,non ABS, so I'm out of luck on using the gears and true trac from the 88. My understanding is the blocks are the same. The CPU, fuel injection, sensors and heads are diferent. Search on the stroker you will find a lot of info.

Back