• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vent Windows conversion WRITEUP !!!

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 94 XJ with pivoting vent windows , they are so annoying because of the noise and dirt that came in even when I was doing 50, I couldnt have a decent conversation or listen to my stereo.
ResizeofIMGP1243.jpg

I went to our local scrap yard and bought a set of fixed vent window assembly (vent window + inner pillar + the weather strip) which were standard late 94

ResizeofIMGP1242.jpg

YOU NEED:

- Vent window assembly
- Philips screwdriver
- T15 Star screwdriver

NB: this conversion will work for deletion of pivoting vents or vice vers ca

Step 1
Clean the assembly + tint windows

Step 2

1- 3 screws holding the controls + metal handle

ResizeofIMGP1244.jpg

2- remove the plastic trim by pushing it horizontally to the outside

ResizeofIMGP1245.jpg

3- Remove the plastic handle 2 screws
4- Pull off the trim

ResizeofIMGP1246.jpg

Step 3

remove 3 bolts holding the assembly ( 2 PHILIPS screws upper + 1 Star screw lower)

ventScrews.jpg

Step 4

-Roll down the windows
-Open the pivot vent windows to get a decent grip of the assembly
-PULL horizontally to the outside then UPWARDS by pulling away the pillar from the top

Step 5

Slide in the new assembly making sure that the main window slides in the grove of the pillar.
attach back the 3 bolts

Step 6

attach the trim back

ResizeofIMGP1241.jpg

Impression:

1- I can feel a huge difference specially in headwind dont need to trun up the stereo even at 90 mph
2- Fixed windows are slightly larger giving a better view of the side mirrors

I recently replaced one of mine, but not because I wanted to. Keys in the ignition, locked doors, 8 miles into a rocky trail and the spare key box fell off somewhere=bust the cheap window!

I bought the new window for $15 and it took about 30 min. to replace, cheaper than a slim jim.

I plan on changing the pivoting ones in my 90 due to wind noise, can't stand it!

window3.jpg

I must be the only guy who likes them :dunno: One of the first things I did was pull the fixed windows & put the vents in. I never had any wind noise or dust problems. You can replace the weather stripping.

Nice write up though, Enjoy

Rob

lowrange2 said:
Can you replace the latch for a new one that holds tighter.

Yes. I have the push button latches on mine shown in the pics above. I had to swap out one that just had an "L" shape, no lock button. You can always shim the locking surface as well

Rob $.02

Last edited:
lowrange2 said:
Can you replace the latch for a new one that holds tighter.

Most people just put a dime in between the latch and the frame to tighten them up when cruising the highway. Worked good on my 90' for a long trip I recently took.

Whats the trick? I havent looked at them that hard since it doesnt bother me a bit! I ride with the windows down when i drive anywhere, hot or cold. How do they come off?

lowrange2 said:
Whats the trick? I havent looked at them that hard since it doesnt bother me a bit! I ride with the windows down when i drive anywhere, hot or cold. How do they come off?
With the window down, weatherstripping removed from the window pocket(just pulls off, 2 pieces, one on the inside and one on the outside of the window pocket) and all of the screws removed as shown, it just slides right out at a slight angle. The hardest part realy is getting the lower bracket snaked through the window pocket opening. Its easier to put the new one in than it was to pull the old one out .

no no no... I wanna keep my vents... i just wanna replace the latch on what I already got. sorry for being vague. Whats the trick to getting the latchs off...

xjtrailrider said:
Most people just put a dime in between the latch and the frame to tighten them up when cruising the highway. Worked good on my 90' for a long trip I recently took.

lol. i have 2 quarters in there. maybe mine leaks air more than most. lol

I'll be swapping mine out for vents soon, I hate the fixed kind

FELIX said:
I must be the only guy who likes them :dunno: One of the first things I did was pull the fixed windows & put the vents in. I never had any wind noise or dust problems. You can replace the weather stripping.

Nice write up though, Enjoy

Rob

I've been wanting to yank the fixed ones and put in the vent windows too.

I have a 92 with vents, a 88 and 96 without vents. They stole the stereos from the 88 and 96 by breaking the non vent window. The 92, they broke the driver door window to steal the jeep. So it doesn't matter what windows you have, if they want it you can't stop them.

Did they successfully steal your jeep???

I used to hate the vents on my Renix, thats just me though. I remember stacking a couple quarters under the latch to get a good seal.

Back