• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire repair maybe?

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
First, let me rant.... I hate asshats on the road who suck at driving, pardon any language. I just went on my lunch break and was out driving around when some dipsh*t decided it was a smart idea to cut in front of a Jeep running on 33s, no more than 2 car lengths ahead of me. Well, long story short, I havent finished trimming my front fenders yet, and ironicly had all plans of doing that when I get home this evening, but anyway.. so instead of plowing into the jackass like I should have, i slammed the brakes and swerved into an old dirt parking lot at say, a minimum of 35mph (speed limit on this road was 45, I was prolly doing 50, so I assume I was going at least that fast) and went straight into a giant pot hole, which caused massive flex, and a nice cut in my tread on some relatively new mickey thompson MTZs, probably a bit less than half way through the tread in some spots. My question is if there is any way to "repair" a cut in the tire. Its not leaking at all, its just a cut in the lugs of the tread. I am not too worried about it, but is there anything I should be hugely concerned about or that I could do to "fix" it?

Scott

happened to me once, different circumstances.

get a new tire, while they are still new. use the cut one for a spare (reason to get a new rear bumper) :wink:

Yeah, I bought them used, was told they only had approx 2k miles on them, I have put probably another 2k on them, so still pretty new, but is a new tire necesary? I would definately do that, definately thought about it... just cant afford the bumper, kinda trying to save up for school so I have some spending money, If I get a job while at school though.. then definately... but is a new tire necesary or should it be able to hold up? I personally think it should be fine, but I just want a bit of clarification and more opinions in order to make me feel better about it :D

post some good pics of the tire. if you do keep it, I would keep it on the rear

I'll try and get some picks up as soon as I get home. so it will be a couple hours, but they will be up

Ok, so heres the pics, or a link to the pics, or something, I am not sure about how to post pics, so either it will come up with a link or the picture. haha. But here goes.

the cut and a couple small chunks out of it, the most damage that is on the tire, then a couple of the cuts, tried to get the best pics, but hope they are good enough
http://www.geocities.com/themangeraaad/p7010002.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/themangeraaad/p7010004.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/themangeraaad/p7010005.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/themangeraaad/p7010006.jpg

thanks for any help/recomendation

Scott

i got some 33" swampers that i run on my DD, and i have some big chunks/ cuts in some of my tires, mostly from my fender-chop job. i dont worry about the cuts in my tires. just think of it as extra siping :)

if you took them to a tire place, they would probly recommend that you replace them.

-Tim

No, you just siped them that's all. The lugs will flex and grab that much better. May see a little quicker wear from street driving on those that are modified, but that's all.
I wouldn't sweat it.

Re: Tiòg rdpaiò(maxbe?

DaffyXJ said:
No¼)you just shped }hem that's all. The lugs will flex and grab that much better. Max set-a littli quickõ{ wdar 6rom strõlt drivùgg nn tose thaä)are modified, but that's all.
I wouldn't sweat it.

x2

thanks, like I said, I didnt think it would be a problem, I just wanted to make sure I didnt end up blowing a tire on the way to work one morning or something.

themangeraaad said:
thanks, like I said, I didnt think it would be a problem, I just wanted to make sure I didnt end up blowing a tire on the way to work one morning or something.

hopefully :) but all tires and rigs are different. definitely keep an eye on it, and like someone mentioned, rotate it to the back just in case, but a little damage on the lugs shouldnt hurt anything....

hey, they are off road tires, right...

-Tim

Back