• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle question

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone please tell me if this is a Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25? I'm looking at buying this JEEP, but I can't look at it in person for another week or so as I'm not in country yet.

Rear_Axle.jpg

Rear_Driveshaft.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and this is my first post. I'll be buying an XJ as soon as I get back. I'll be relatively new to JEEPs (have helped several friends lift their Wranglers though) but not new to offroading. I've owned two Zuki Samurais in the past but I want something that'll be a bit more comfortable for daily use in the winter, thus I've sold out and gone to the JEEP side. :)

Awesome, I was pretty sure it was (machined flat bottom gives it away) but I wanted to make sure. Thanks guys, looks like I'll definately be buying this Jeep when I get back. Its a black 1999 Sport w/ Automatic.

Perfect year and model....

So what makes this year/model so desirable?

Since it has the ChryCo 8.25 rear does that mean it doesn't have ABS?

Also, the owner said he has the CommanTrac NP231 T-Case but according to the faq it should have a SelecTrac NP242 as it an automatic. Does that mean it doesn't have an AW4? What kind of trans would it have?

It's desiarable because
1 it has the stronger axle (yes, it has NO ABS)
2 It's the last year of the HP D30 front

The T-case option doesn't matter if it's an auto or not. The 242 has a full time option, but not as much aftermarket so it's the least desiarable case.

Aren't the SelecTrac T-cases also equipped with a viscous coupling? Wouldn't that be a serious weak point? Either way he said it doesn't have the fulltime 4wd option so it should have the 231, right?

DutchVDub said:
Aren't the SelecTrac T-cases also equipped with a viscous coupling? Wouldn't that be a serious weak point? Either way he said it doesn't have the fulltime 4wd option so it should have the 231, right?
The 242s have a differential in them for use in full time mode. In general they are just a larger case (because of the extra parts, not because it's stronger) and they don't have the option of a HD SYE or other goodies like 2lo or 4-1 kits.
If it doesn't have the full time option, it's a 231.

xjtrailrider said:
ALL XJ's with auto's came with the AW4, no matter what the t-case is.

Not true! It is for this year range, but 84-86 XJs had the TF904 3 speed auto.

Cool, thanks guys. You've been really helpful. I can't wait to get back and hopefully buy this thing. I'm in Kuwait right now, should be flying back to Ft Carson in the next day or two. Its been a long 18mos, I can't wait to get back.

Back