• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips and tricks before changing the rear and front axle oil.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on pulling covers and changing oil on my 99 XJ with Dana 30 up front and 8.25 in the back. Wondering what is the best way to clean out the case? Thinking about spraying brake cleaner in there.

Yeah spray it out with brake cleaner. BTW another trick is to leave a bolt at the top of the cover in a few threads before prying the cover off that way it wont drop and make a mess

I usually end up installing a stud and nut in the topmost hole of the axle housing - which not only allows me to control the cover when I'm draining things, but also helps me to line everything up with rather less wrestling when I close. Hang the cover and gasket on the stud, start the bottom screw, then start the rest. Problem solved - and easier to do with only two hands (I'll usually put studs on valve covers, oil sumps and transmission sumps when I remove them for similar reasons. Even though they're not maintenance items, it saves much wrestling and use of evil words...)

Thanks for the info. I will do the front Dana 30 this weekend. Anyone know off hand what the torque specs on the bolts would be? Also is there a certain pattern to tightening the cover back on? I plan on going with a synthetic lube. There is no additives required for the front?

75w90 front and rear, synthetic or conventional your choice. if you want to tow or heavy duty anything put synthetic 75w140 in rear. no additives required unless you have a limited slip (which would be aftermarket usually) if so then consult the aftermarket manufacturers specs.

Back