• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Issues????

BRUTUStheTITAN

NAXJA Forum User
IM having issues on startup with no oil pressure, gauge reads no pressure and then comes up to about 10 after a few seconds sometimes, sometimes I dont want to wait any longer so I shut the motor off and then restart and the pressure comes right up to 10-20. Ever since Iv bought it its ran 10-15 at idle and then 50 at 2000 RPM. I guess what Im questioning is the fact that an oil pump is a mechanical part that is not variable other than with RPM, so as far as I know it should have pressure at all times, am I correct in thinking this?

Anyone else ever have problems like this....any help would be greatly appreciated.

You will know if you pressure is low by the sound the engine makes. If you don't hear any knocking you should be okay. The sending unit if probably bad.

The wife's DD only reads about 12 psi at it's highest, but the motor does not knock. I know it is a bad sending unit, and just haven't replaced it yet.

NO knocking just a no pressure reading, is the sending unit the sensor above the oil filter and below the distributor???

Thanks for the help I was hoping sending unit but wanted to be sure.

Yes that is the sending unit.

I just replaced mine a week ago and things were fine. A few days ago my pressure gauge started reading all over the place. When it's idling the gauge is normal and the pressure is fine but as soon as I step on the gas it pegs way past 80. I'm thinking the SU is FUBAR.

Lets see if I'm physic or psycotic today. Drum roll please... stares into crystal ball....

Survey says - Stop using fram filters! The drainback valves don't work and it causes an extra delay in oil pressure at startup.

Where the fawk in this thread does it say that anyone is using a Fram filter? Way to contribute.

now thats funny, i ran a fram an my oil pressure was the same, never did change it.. had no chiose, thats all they had.. hole in filter, don't ask

I had something just like that happen to me. I ended up replacing the oil pump and it was the sending unit all along. Go get a new one, and get the one with the lifetime warranty. Mine goes bad again every two to three months and I just walk it into O'Reilly's and trade it out.

riverfever said:
Where the fawk in this thread does it say that anyone is using a Fram filter? Way to contribute.
I guess that means I'm psycotic this evening then. :laugh3:

Usually though, when I hear or read of a complaint about delayed oil pressure at start, they're running a Fram.

Back