• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2003 GC engine swap

92SportXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one swapped a newer 4.0 liter engine into a older XJ.
I want to swap in a 2003 Grand Cherokee 4 liter into my 1992 XJ and want to know if any one has had any issues doing so.
The 2003 engine comes with all the wiring, ECU etc., tranny and transfercase.

I did a search but, Ièm in a real hurry to find out, or the engine gets sold tonight to some else.

Christopher

Might as well, but you'll probly have to just take the dist. and fuel rail off the 92 and swap emm in, unless you want to spend a week wireing

The tranny is different, the GC uses a Chrysler tranny, not the AW4. IMO Chrysler can't build a decent tranny.

Swap the engine in, don't swap in the ecu or wiring, use your existing stuff and save a huge headache.

if you don't use the tranny and transfer case, the only issue should be swapping in a distributor and changing the injectors and fuel rail(keeping the earlier style stuff).

Problem is the guy wont seperate the engine from the tranny and rest is useless to me.
Really all I want is the engine because it has only 26,000 kms on it.
Thanks for the info guys, it helped a ton.

Christopher

Just get it all and sell it on craigslist or sumthin

ZacSquatch said:
Just get it all and sell it on craigslist or sumthin

depending on what he's selling it for this is a good option

First off, how much is the guy askin?

I thought the WJ blocks have different embossments on the block. Some that may or may not be there or be tapped that are needed on the older models.

Back