• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

harmonic balancer install ??'s

krelja

NAXJA Forum User
I have the heep apart again and I need to change the HB. It looks pretty straight forward. Unbolt, use puller to take off, beat the thing back on. My HB came with these things called woodruff keys the look like 2 small half moons, what are they for and do I need them. I've had this ticking noise for a while and thought it was internal until the mud flap underneath was off and I could so the pulley wobbling. Is there anything besides taking the radiator out thatmay cause a problem?

The woodruff key is for the crankshaft. There should be a slot in the crank right where the HB slips over so the half moon gets tapped in lightly until its bottomed out. The old one should be there still, its even questionable if you really need to replace it.

When I changed mine on my 87, I didn't have to take the radiator out. I wouldn't suggest hammering the new one in. What I did was buy a bolt same thread as the original but longer to first pull it in all that it can. Then use the original bolt to pull it in the rest of the way and tighten it.

Back