• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to figure out which rear end I have.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I am pretty certain it is a Dana 35 but when I crawled under my vehicle to look for the 35C stamped on the differential I could not see it. This has something to do with laying under my vehicle and the area where there is numbers on the rear end is 1 inch from my eyes and out of focus because it is so close. Was the Dana 35 the only rear end used in 1999 with a rubber fill plug?

newjeepowner said:
I am pretty certain it is a Dana 35 but when I crawled under my vehicle to look for the 35C stamped on the differential I could not see it. This has something to do with laying under my vehicle and the area where there is numbers on the rear end is 1 inch from my eyes and out of focus because it is so close. Was the Dana 35 the only rear end used in 1999 with a rubber fill plug?
No unfortunately the 8.25 used a rubber plug also. If it is flat on the bottom of the diff housing it's the 8.25, if it's rounded more it's the D35. The D35 is rare in the later years though.

While under the vehicle I did notice a chrysler pentastar logo stamped in one area. Wasn't sure if it was a Dana 35 that was finished at Chrysler and stamped with the logo. I am pretty sure it is a 8.25 now. It does have a flat area on the bottom of the case. thanks. Would I have been better off if it was a Dana 35 or is the 8.25 better. The reason I thought it was a Dana 35 was because I had ABS and thought I read that most ABS came with the Dana 35

if it has ABS its a 35. The 35 is rounded on the bottom and the 8.25 is flat

newjeepowner said:
While under the vehicle I did notice a chrysler pentastar logo stamped in one area. Wasn't sure if it was a Dana 35 that was finished at Chrysler and stamped with the logo. I am pretty sure it is a 8.25 now. It does have a flat area on the bottom of the case. thanks. Would I have been better off if it was a Dana 35 or is the 8.25 better. The reason I thought it was a Dana 35 was because I had ABS and thought I read that most ABS came with the Dana 35

ALL XJ's with ABS used a Dana 35.

Because you can't attach pix here. You have to hotlink it. Upload it and then put the addy inside the image tags.

I am 95% sure I have ABS. There is a black box mount above the axle with some tubes. And when I slam on the brakes I hear a pulsing sound. And feel it in my brake pedal.

it's a chrysler 8.25.

and no, just because it has ABS does not mean it's got a dana 35. the factory actually offered things called options (you know, buyer gets to choose the high points on their purchase...)

I would venture to say that you do NOT have ABS. The 8.25 does not have the necessary provisions for the ABS components.

The ABS unit is under the hood, in front of the master cylinder. Take a picture of that area and post it.

jeepcomj said:
it's a chrysler 8.25.

and no, just because it has ABS does not mean it's got a dana 35. the factory actually offered things called options (you know, buyer gets to choose the high points on their purchase...)

yes it does. options are not nearly as "a-la-carte" as they used to be.

newjeepowner said:
I am 95% sure I have ABS. There is a black box mount above the axle with some tubes. And when I slam on the brakes I hear a pulsing sound. And feel it in my brake pedal.

black box with tubes??? can you take a picture of that and post it???

Might be a black box flight recorder. There is a box mount on the undercarriage of my Jeep. It resides in the area above the rear axle. There is a hose comeing off of it that connects to the rear brake line tee.

newjeepowner said:
Might be a black box flight recorder. There is a box mount on the undercarriage of my Jeep. It resides in the area above the rear axle. There is a hose comeing off of it that connects to the rear brake line tee.
I've got the same thing on my 1999 without ABS. I think it might have to do with the EVAP system. I know that wouldn't make sense if it ties into the brakeline but I think it may tie into the gas tank evap line.

Back