• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone towed a uhaul trailer w/ an XJ?

Kreutz

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some advice.

I've never towed anything before. Uhaul recommends not to exceed 45 mph and that is worrying me. Is it safe to drive at 70 mph? I'm going to be driving for about 5-6 hours with a 5'x10' trailer. I have a class 3 hitch. Will standard rear shocks do the job? Will my tranny overheat? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Uhaul has to tell you not to exceed 45. You can comfortably tow a trailer like that at 65. I wouldnt get wild and crazy, but you dont have to crawl along either! As for your hitch and shocks, you will be fine. A 5x10 is a tiny little thing and your xj shouldnt even notice that it's back there. As for the tranny, if it's an automatic and you are pulling hills with a load then just remember to keep the rpms up and dont let it lug. Same with a manual, just be prepared to shift more and dont expect it to fly up a hill. Your 5-6 hour drive may end up being 7, but if you relax and drive prudently your xj will make it fine.

also, if your trailer is a tandem axle it will make towing much easier. If it's a single axle be sure to put the bulk of the weight ahead of the axle. She'll fishtail on ya if you dont.
Happy trails! Good luck!

If you load the heavy stuff low and load the tongue a little more than the tail, they handle better.
The third gear in the AW4 is one to one, or non overdrive, pretty much like a standard three speed. Except on a flat road, I use third and keep the RPM's down to around 2500. This makes things easier on most all of the componenets and doesn't use a lot more fuel (a compromise). I use the shifter a lot more when I'm towing, use the skinny pedal smoothly and try and keep the RPM's in the sweet range.

They are nice trailers too. Some of the stoutest garden trailers I've ever seen. I guess they have to be, since every single person that rents them TRIES to kill them.

179374654-L.jpg

Last edited:
I routinely rent an auto transporter from U-Haul. The say Max speed is 45, I tow at 65, that is not saying all will be well, and considering the maintenance that U-Haul gives their trailers I would watch it, but for me it has been fine.

Rev

I have towed a 6x12 U-Haul from Austin Texas to Gunnison Colorado several times with my '96 XJ. This was back in 1997 when they still allowed me to rent a 6x12, now they won't give me anything bigger than a 5x10. I have a class II light duty hitch and pulled the trailer at 65 and higher without any problems. The 6x12 has brakes on it to help slow it down. Going up and down the passes wasn't hard either, I would downshift and usually slow down to about 50, it would just keep trudging up the hill.

As for suspension... My rear leaves are completly dead. 5000+ miles pulling a heavy trailer on stock springs will do that.

5'x8' box from ATL to SJC, about 3000#, with a 1989 Limited. Did about 60 the whole way across on 10, 40, and up 5. You'll be fine.

Early XJ's did have the single diaphragm booster, which makes them a bit underbraked - so you want to think ahead more. If you've got the later dual diaphragm unit (should have hit in 1996 or 1997 - master cylinders on those are two-piece, with aluminum body and plastic reservoirs) you'll be better off. If not, just think more than a few seconds ahead, and pay attention to what's going on in front of you.

And, the rest of the advice is correct - bias the load just a bit toward the tongue, and make sure the trailer sits level! Use a "drop ball" if you have to, as the trailer will handle much better.

And, don't let the yard monkeys at U-Hell wire up your trailer lights - I've heard horror stories. Do it yourself, and you'll know what's been done in case you need to fix it anyhow.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm just driving up to Chicago from Louisville. It's pretty flat all the way with a few rolling hills and a little wind up north. I'll just take my time. Thanks again!

I have pulled a 5 x 8 U-haul trailer a few times and it was no problem. I have wondered how the larger trailer would pull because the next time I help my daughter move I think we will need the larger one.

ive towed a loaded 5x10 when i was moving, loaded with stuff it really lugged the jeep down, and then my alternator exploded.

my little sears special 4x8the ones with the tiny doughnut tires, i cant tell its there, sometimes i forget and it tries to pass me in the corners, scares the crap out of oncoming traffic!

streetpirate said:
ive towed a loaded 5x10 when i was moving, loaded with stuff it really lugged the jeep down, and then my alternator exploded.

my little sears special 4x8the ones with the tiny doughnut tires, i cant tell its there, sometimes i forget and it tries to pass me in the corners, scares the crap out of oncoming traffic!

ok dude, quit freaking the guy out. LOL!

Not exactly a U-haul, but;
1055517730_54d7b433b5.jpg

900 lb. trailer, about 600-650 lb. load, no trailer brakes. 7000 mile trip. Top highway speed about 80mph. Didn't use 3rd. No problems.
These wagons are great for light/medium duty towing.(much better then a CJ-5!)

I have 5x12 trailer that looks just like the uhaul one. My 2000 XJ pulls it just fine just when I load all my mowers it takes a little to stop. Good luck, you will be fine.

I towed a 6x12 from Mayfield,KY to Rockford, IL. Fully loaded it towed fine. Give yourself some extra time to stop. I got the 6x12 from U-haul--they asked if I had a big Cherokee & I said yes.:shhh: :laugh: :doh: JIM.

Back