• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Scorpion Bumper Kit???

YUp, thats a good deal! I charge $125 per hour to run my CNC laser and the metal would cost ya 60 bucks and the shipping would be high to ship that much steel... The only thing i see wrong with it is the lack of good mounting points... unless i over looked something... I have my winch bumper lasered out and still laying on the floor. I haven't burned out my bumper brackets or the other small parts to finish but I'm workin on it... I might buy one of those scorpion kits and see how it turns out...I almost can't laser my own for 60 bucks.

Edit: I just saw that it's a bid. Just for comparison - at my shop I would charge you about $240 bucks to ship that item to you. and that's cheap. Metal is high right now. A sheet of stainless steel cost nearly 1000 bucks right now. Hot Rolled steel isn't far behind.

lowrange2 said:
YUp, thats a good deal! I charge $125 per hour to run my CNC laser and the metal would cost ya 60 bucks and the shipping would be high to ship that much steel... The only thing i see wrong with it is the lack of good mounting points... unless i over looked something... I have my winch bumper lasered out and still laying on the floor. I haven't burned out my bumper brackets or the other small parts to finish but I'm workin on it... I might buy one of those scorpion kits and see how it turns out...I almost can't laser my own for 60 bucks.

Edit: I just saw that it's a bid. Just for comparison - at my shop I would charge you about $240 bucks to ship that item to you. and that's cheap. Metal is high right now. A sheet of stainless steel cost nearly 1000 bucks right now. Hot Rolled steel isn't far behind.

Yeah, they have the 'But It Now' set at 150. It still doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'll wait and see if there are any reviews.

All that laser cutting and cool piece work....... and the bumper brackets only mount to the stock location..... why not make it with the longer, better mounts like the majority of the other mfg guys do?

Yeah thats what i was thinkin... My bumper brackets are gunna be bolted in like 50 places! I would suggest better brackets to the fella... In fact I just sent him a message to tell him to work on it...

If I was going to spend $150 I would just kick in more and get a Backbone

http://detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

and use the stock or some light fab to make your own, much stronger, its a winch bumper, and it gets lots of good reviews on here.

But if you don't want a winch bumper, it's probably not a bad starting point, get some new mounting brackets cut or those ones extended...

Yeah I was thinking about getting better brackets for the bumper. I think the tow hooks I have now mount better than that.

I like the detour system, but I don't wanna use the stock bumper. I already trashed a couple and I now know how easy it is to destroy one. I am looking at this because I really don't wanna cut my own pieces. I will give it a shot and let you guys know how it goes. There are worse ways I can spend a bday present!! =P

98XJSport said:
If I was going to spend $150 I would just kick in more and get a Backbone

http://detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

and use the stock or some light fab to make your own, much stronger, its a winch bumper, and it gets lots of good reviews on here.

But if you don't want a winch bumper, it's probably not a bad starting point, get some new mounting brackets cut or those ones extended...

I do like the backbone. That's pretty sweet. I want to get rid of the factory bumper tho. After lookin closer at the backbone there no reason i can't make one of those in like 2 hours.... LOL! If my winch bumpeer turns out to be a POS then ill make one of those!

Aight if i don't like it then you got first dibs on it.... You payin the shipping tho... and it'll prolly be forever before I get it done... I got more important things I'm worryin about right now... For example my over usage of "...", it drives me crazy but I can't break the habit... lol

Oh, wow. I like that. The 'Jeep' cutout is a very nice touch. Props to you! I hope it turns out good! (but not too good) :D

Not so good that I want to keep it? Thats a good idea! I still have to bend it up and do some welding. I have to laser out the bottom side and some more gussets as well.

These are made by a good friend just down the block from me. He visits the boards frequently. The kit is really sweet. He is an engineer and has spent a lot of time working on a good servicable design that it easy to build and is plenty strong. If you want a few more attachment points, it is trivial to add them. What he provides is 95% of the hard work has been done for you. I personally like his design better than most since it gives you the best approach angle I have seen. Heck, you would have a hard time buying the materials for that much, much less all the cutting.

old_man said:
These are made by a good friend just down the block from me. He visits the boards frequently. The kit is really sweet. He is an engineer and has spent a lot of time working on a good servicable design that it easy to build and is plenty strong. If you want a few more attachment points, it is trivial to add them. What he provides is 95% of the hard work has been done for you. I personally like his design better than most since it gives you the best approach angle I have seen. Heck, you would have a hard time buying the materials for that much, much less all the cutting.

Yeah thats what i was saying! Great Bumper! Just needs more attachment points! I like it! I may pick it up from him just to play with. Steel is crazy expensive and cutting a bumper takes 75% of a sheet! and one laser hour costs $125 at my shop... He's wheelin a deal thats for sure.

Hey old_man, do you think you could hook me up with some more pics? [email protected]

I really like the approach angle and the whole me not having to cut shit part =P

Also, do you have your buddie's email? I would like to ask him a few questions about it.

Thanks a lot!

His email is on the auction. One dude that bought something from him didn't care too much for the quality of cut. Plasma cut only cuts within a .038 Kerf width. The CNC lasers on the other hand cut a .001 kerf width and a lil cleaner side, but who tha hek cares if the cut aint pretty, you're gunna weld over it anyways! grind it pretty!

Last edited:
just my personal opinion, but i would take that scorpion out of the steel. i showed it to my wife and she couldn't figure out what it was until i told her. but that's just my opinion. maybe a little re-design of the scorpion wouldn't be a bad idea.

sorry, my wife is a graphic designer, so i notice alot of "visual" flaws. if your buddy is trying to use the scorpion logo as branding for his company, then it should be easily recognizable and stand out a little. and it's very hard to make a scorpion with a little personality since there are so many scorpion companies out there. LOL my shop also starts with scorpion.

Back