• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T case drop problem

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, RE 3.5" Super flex is installed. 31x10.5 tires on 15x8 wheels on a 94 4 door with auto tranny and NP231. IT WAS VIBRATING LIKE CRAZY. Actually with the jeep on the lift and the suspension fully extended the front u-joint (on the rear drive shaft) was hitting itself. So i went for a quick t case drop while i save up for the SYE and new drive shaft. The drop i used has about 3/4" spacers. Now she vibrates a little below 30 mph. The problem is that on each side of the cross member there is one stud and one bolt that hold the cross member in place. The stud is not long enough to thread the nut on with the spacers installed. At the moment i am driving around with just one bolt on each side. Obviously not a ggod plan. How can I get the stud out to allow a longer bolt? I tink I want to try dropping the T case a full inch to see if that will solve the vibration problem. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated as I am only 3 weeks away from a colorado trip and don't have the cash for the SYE.

A TC drop is a temp deal, save up for a SYE kit.

The stud is easily removeable. Use vice grips, or a stud remover socket to get it out. Its just threaded into a nut welded inside the frame. Try shimming the rearend, with lets say 4* shims.

1 bolt on each side is an accident waiting to happen.

Good write up by XJ Ranger. http://www.opiebennett.com/t-casedrop.htm

omg, first off, bad on you, never run the crossmember with only one bolt on each end, if you cant get the stud out, you can either double nut it, bring one all the way to the frame and tighten the other as you loosen the inner one, or you can weld a nut onto the end and CAREFULLY turn it both ways, (like tapping a new hole) so that you dont snap the stud, mine was vibing really bad too, auctually more like banging, what i did, was got a r.e longer slip yoke, had the diff shims in already, then did a tj 1" t-case drop, but if your going to do that then whats the point in lifting your truck if your going to be lowering stuff right!? yes i know your getting a sye, just saying thats all, but ya, if you have a welder, or a buddy with a welder, than weld a nut to the end of the stud and carefully remove it, the heat from welding the nut on helps remove the stud alot easier, but can still snap it, after running it and dealing with the consistant driveshaft flying out from under my truck, i did the sye, and tucked the crossmember back up underneath along with a 8.8 and new double cardon cv driveshaft, and it dosent vibe AT ALL!

I installed a RE 3.5 lift a few months ago, installed a Rusty's 1" crossmember drop and 4 degree shims in the rear and I still have vibration troubles. They are not bad, but it is noticable at around 30-40mph and at 60-70 mph.

Back