• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj losing power TPS related??

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 4.0 aw4 xj problem. Just swapped in a newish motor. Ran great for the drive to the detail shop. As it got warmed up good on the way home it started losing power, popping through the intake a little if you tried to gas it hard. Fuel pressure is at about 50. Air filter is new. Have good spark even when its losing power. Cat seems to be breathing all right. Unplugged the TPS and it revved higher but stopped the problem. So I got a new TPS and took off down the road again. Took longer but started the same game again. I unplugged the TPS and it pretty much drives fine. No check engine lights are on. Scanners not picking up anything. The TPS is fixing the symtoms of the problem but not the problem itself? Anyone experienced something like this? I guess there could be a problem in the TPS plug??? corrosion????water from the pressure washing??? I've taken it apart a few times but cant visually see a problem. I'll spray it with some electrical cleaner spray and see if that helps.

thanks. checked it. no water. didnt pop up the plastic disc under the rotor but theres no sign of moisture. I'd hate to have to take this one to a real mechanic...its got to be something stupid I'm missing.

but I replaced it since then...thats the part thats killing me...:flamemad:
Beats me...thats why you cant sell nice jeeps to people. I should just keep them all for my self. The previous engine was overheated so bad (tech note: you cant repair a freeze plug w/ RTV...why did the freeze plug fail? who knows...RTV is not the way to fix it) that the valve cover gasket had melted out...it had blown rusty water from the header panel to the roof and all the way underneath to the rear bumper...but the guy swears it was never over heated...:twak:

Back