• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 front & Rear axle questions

K_scheeringa

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,
I have a '99 with the dana front axle and the Chrysler 8.25 rear.
Other info: 4L 5sp
My front axle is leaking @ the pinion seal and one of the output(?) seals. The pinion seal should not be an issue. I was wondering if there is anything i should be worried about going into the axle to change the output (?) seal. I guess you need to remove the inner workings of the axle to be able to get at it. Will this mess up my ring and pinion set up? My manual does not state anything regarding these seals.
For those who do not know this is a non disconnect front axle.

My rear axle is also leaking @ the pinion seal, I have read up on changing that and it seems not to be too much of an issue again. My main issue @ the rear is it seems to have a fair amount of free play (backlash) in the ring and pinion set up. You almost think the U joint is gone. How much play should be there? I have around 3/16" play if referencing to a spot on the pinion flange. Is this normal? Is adjusting it something a fairly confident recreational mechanic cold do, and how is it done???

I have totally rebuilt motorcycles from the ground up. I have just not had the chance (or need) to go into a differential. My manual (hanes) does not go into much to do with the axles. Only changing pinion seals and such.

Any advise before i start wrenching would be appreciated.

For the front axle seals, remove the brakes, axles, diff cover and carrier. Make sure the bearing caps are kept on the same side, and the same direction that they came off as. I used a long peice of round wood to punch them out with. You can also use a screwdriver or smaller pry bar to get them out, but be careful not to gouge the mounting surface. You will not mess up the adjustment, as the shims for the carrier should be under the carrier bearings. IF, for some reason, they are on the outside, make sure you keep them to their respective sides.

As for the pinion seals, check your pinion preload with an INCH pound torque wrench. It must be a dial gauge one. See what the torque on it is when turns. You will want to set it to the same when you go back together.

Ok great.. So as long as I keep things in order when I disassemble the front then all will be fine.. That’s great to know...

How about the rear free play? Should I be concerned, or is that about the right amount of play? It seems a bit much to me, is this something I could adjust?

I have just gotten my dial torque wrench so I can do the pinion seals. I think I got a OK deal off e-bay..

Back