• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb antenna question

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Can you use a cb antenna and the stock antenna wire if I make a stud to screw in to the mount. I am not sure if the wire that runs to the cb matters. I have a piece that will change the end to fit the cb.

Evil88 said:
I think thats a strange idea. Why not just get the correct coax (RG-58)?

And put a correct CB antenna mount in place of the radio antenna, its been done on here and I want to try it myself, but you really need the correct CB stuff for it to work.

I thought it would make things easier by not having to go through the rewiring and taking off the stock mount like others have done.

cj11 said:
I thought it would make things easier by not having to go through the rewiring and taking off the stock mount like others have done.

Get a magnetic mount antenna and run the wire through your window to the roof. It sounds like that would be the easiest route for you to go.

I think the stock antenna cable could be re-used. It wouldn't be as efficient as a good RG-58 or RG-8X, but it is 50 ohms. I think you could use the factory antenna mount as well as long as you can find a CB antenna that will fit in the threads. That's going to be the hard part.

Although I think it can be done, I wouldn't recommend it. I think you'll be discouraged with the performance of the CB and get frustrated when you can't even talk to the guy right next to you. If you're going to go through the trouble of installing the radio, the last thing you want to do is impair the antenna system. You can hook the best radio in the world to a lousy antenna and it will perform poorly. In contrast, you can hook a modest radio into a great antenna and get stunning performance.

Just my $0.02.

I have a magnetic antenna and the compass always reads NE and every time it hits something it falls off. The also look like sh*t. I thought I could make a stud to just screw into the CB antenna

Back