• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the diff between AW4's for 2wd or 4wd

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the diff between an aw4 for 2wd or 4wd. i have found an aw4 for 2wd with crazy low miles...it looks the same. its the same year as my motor...1999t

the only thing i could find on the diff is from novak and it says:.

The AW4 may be identified as a model #30-43LE for 2wd versions and as a model #40-30LE for 4wd versions.

Would there be a problem?

cipey

i also noticed the AW4 has part time and full time, what exactly is the difference? i noticed part time is great for mud, and full time is good for slick roads. this due to the fact it almost acts like a locker, when turning sharply in part time you can feel it bind up, does anyone have some detailed info on the AW4 transmission?

The 2WD AW4 has a longer tailshaft, different size and spline count, and you'd have to do a "divorced" mount for the transfer case as a result.

The 4WD version has the transfer case adapter, a shorter tailshaft with a different size and spline count, and an integral "adapter" housing to bolt the transfer case directly to the transmission.

You can convert from one to the other, but it requires the mainshaft/tailshaft assembly and tailshaft housing/transfer case adapter housing, and you're damn near doing an overhaul to replace the mainshaft/tailshaft assembly anyhow.

As for the "part time" and "full time" difference - that's nothing to do with the transmission. That indicates a difference in the transfer case - the "part time" only transfer case locks the front and rear outputs together in four-wheel-drive, while the "full-time" transfer case option has a differential. The differential is "locked out" in part-time 4WD operation, but comes into play in "full-time" 4WD, allowing the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different speeds.

The use of PT4WD on dry pavement is not recommended, and eventually will result in damage to your transfer case (and probably sooner, rather than later.) The use of FT4WD on dry pavement is generally not recommended, but should not cause any trouble. It's not all-wheel-drive, but it's close. If you're expecting foul weather and have "full-time" 4WD, you can go ahead and shift into it before the weather hits to get ready. Don't want to do that with "part-time" 4WD, tho...

A vehicle with "part-time" 4WD only can easily be converted to have "full-time" 4WD available - just swap the transfer case, and change the shiftgate and bezel. Driveshafts and transfer case mounts are typically the same (at least, they are for the NP231 PT4WD and NP242 PT/FT4WD transfer cases, which are common on Jeeps.)

the AW4 is the same in all 3 applications.
its what its attached to thats different. the 2wd tail housing just sort of tapers off while the 4wd actually has an adapter ring that then bolts up to a transfer case. the NP231 command-trac has 2-hi, 4-hi, N, and 4-lo, while the NP 242 has 2-hi, 4-hi (full time), 4-hi (part time), N and 4-lo. the NP 231 transfer case is more common and cheaper. the NP 242 is also a few inches longer in total (due to the exta selection).

EDIT: 5-90 beat me to the punch, and with better detail, sooo.. yea.... X2

Serveck said:
i also noticed the AW4 has part time and full time, what exactly is the difference? i noticed part time is great for mud, and full time is good for slick roads. this due to the fact it almost acts like a locker, when turning sharply in part time you can feel it bind up, does anyone have some detailed info on the AW4 transmission?
As they said - the AW-4 has nothing to do with the Part-Time/Full-Time. That's going to be your transfer case, not your transmission.

Familiarize yourself with http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

5-90 said:
The 2WD AW4 has a longer tailshaft, different size and spline count, and you'd have to do a "divorced" mount for the transfer case as a result.

The 4WD version has the transfer case adapter, a shorter tailshaft with a different size and spline count, and an integral "adapter" housing to bolt the transfer case directly to the transmission.

You can convert from one to the other, but it requires the mainshaft/tailshaft assembly and tailshaft housing/transfer case adapter housing, and you're damn near doing an overhaul to replace the mainshaft/tailshaft assembly anyhow.

i know about the tailshaft extension for 2wd models....tell me does this tranny have the t-case adaptpter housing on the end that piece bolted to the tranny main body with the sensor at the top?

QMMLE-right1.JPG

QQPHI-left1.JPG

let me know if the adapter is on this tranny

thanks

Cipey

That's a 4wd version. The "adapter" is the bellhousing looking piece behind the rachet strap. The xfer case should bolt right up to that (assuming they are both the same spline count).

lawsoncl said:
That's a 4wd version. The "adapter" is the bellhousing looking piece behind the rachet strap. The xfer case should bolt right up to that (assuming they are both the same spline count).

thanks...what scared me was the model number 30-43LE, 2wd version, but doesn't make a diff with the adapter.

thanks

later

Cipey

Back